Re: [Tools-discuss] [Emo-dir] Tools info on the main IETF web site

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Sun, 01 August 2021 22:02 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 10:02:42 +1200
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, tools-discuss@ietf.org, emo-dir@ietf.org
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] [Emo-dir] Tools info on the main IETF web site

> On 2/08/2021, at 9:51 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 02-Aug-21 08:44, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Who keeps an eye on the tools material on the IETF web site?
>>
>> AMSL can do updates, and emails to support@ietf.org work well for this.
>
> Yes, but I think that they can't be expected to be proactive in
> identifying gaps and updates. When I was in the EDU team (the ancestor
> of EMO) I tried to do this, but I'm not sure we really have a mechanism
> for it. For example:
>
>>> While trying to assist a possible new contributor, I fell upon:
>>> https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/tutorials/process/creating-internet-drafts-and-rfcs/
>>> which looks badly in need of a refresh to me. For example, it misses the excellent tutorial at:
>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-edu-sessf-how-to-create-an-internet-draft-using-xml-or-markdown-markdown-01
>
> Who decides that this is the latest & best material to promote
> on the site? Not my job, and probably not AMSL's.
>
>>> We can have the best tools in the world, but they are no good to
>>> newcomers unless the main IETF web site is actively maintained.
>>
>> I'd put the ietf.org contents on a gitlab and take pull requests.
>
> I don't know if the content management system could work like that,
> but I agree that crowdsourcing of some kind would be handy.

The outline plan that a bunch of us are putting together for community consultation is for a new wiki to be added at authors.ietf.org <http://authors.ietf.org/> that

- replaces the current info on www.ietf.org <http://www.ietf.org/> and tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org/> and so becomes the one stop shop for authors (at this stage, not planning to recommend that AUTH48 documentation also moves from rfc-editor.org <http://rfc-editor.org/>)

- has a mix of 'official' and community content

- encourages the developers of tools to maintain a part of this site about their tool so that we always have up to date info

- uses wiki.js so that it can have it’s content synchronised with GitHub as per all the discussions above, all written in markdown, etc

It would be useful to hear if this is on the right lines before the proposal is fully fleshed out?

Jay