[Tools-implementation] 2nd iteration: Re: Draft of message about chat trials

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Thu, 10 December 2020 14:34 UTC

To: tools-implementation@ietf.org
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 08:34:02 -0600
Subject: [Tools-implementation] 2nd iteration: Re: Draft of message about chat trials

I've tried to worked the spirit of Glen's suggestions into the text, and
aimed people at some specific resources on matrix and zulip

Some inline comments at the end.

===========

To: ietf-announce

Subject: Next steps: chat service trials

We have been running trial zulip, matrix, and xmpp services since October.
See
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ietf-announce/?q=%22trial%20chat%22>

As noted in those announcements, the issue that we are trying to address
is the difficulty people have been reporting obtaining jabber services
and clients. We are hopeful that these trials will help the community
develop a better sense of whether to focus on improving the experiences
with xmpp or to pursue other chat solutions. We are also open to the
possibility that these other solutions may be worth operating in
addition to improving the experiences from xmpp.

However, usage and feedback so far has not been sufficient to inform
what services we should run in the future.

We had around 50 local jabber accounts created on xmpp-trial1.ietf.org,
and around 40 accounts were created on each of the matrix and zulip
services.
Few rooms have been created on the matrix service other than those
bridging to xmpp.
Few streams were created on the zulip service other than those bridging
to xmpp and those ingesting a few mailing lists.

We are not aware of anyone trying to use the zulip or matrix servers for
ietf work outside the main meeting.

If you've used the services, please take a few minutes to provide
feedback at tools-discuss@ietf.org.

Is providing local jabber accounts and a web interface to jabber sufficient?
Are there features that matrix or zulip provide that are truly helpful
for progressing IETF work? If so, please describe how they are helping.

To collect more feedback, we are planning to extend the trials through
IETF 110. Please take advantage of these services between now and then
(at interim meetings for example) and let us know what you find to be
effective.

If you are interested in using these services more directly for your
group's day-to-day communication, and are willing to test one or both of
these services on a primary basis for a while, please coordinate with
the appropriate leadership and let the tools team know so we can help
accommodate.  Please consider using these services for ad-hoc,
design-team meetings, and even interims (again, coordinating with the
appropriate leadership).

If you have had issues using Jabber in the past, please take some time
now to work with these new services and describe whether they improve
your experience.

We need more feedback about these services to develop a sense of what
will best meet the community's needs going forward. Please engage in
exploring and discussing them at tools-discuss@ietf.org.

While exploring, feel free to use the trial1-feedback room on Matrix and
the trial1-feedback stream on Zulip.

Thanks again to the volunteers that have been helping configure these
services and keep them going.

Robert Sparks, Tools Team Chair

=====

On 12/9/20 2:02 PM, Jay Daley wrote:
> I’m too busy right now to give detailed feedback but I like all of
> Glen’s suggestions.
>
> Jay
>
>> On 10/12/2020, at 8:50 AM, Glen <glen@amsl.com
>> <mailto:glen@amsl.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/9/2020 11:30, Robert Sparks wrote:
>>> Do you think this is sufficient or do we need to take a different
>>> approach?
>>
>> Might I suggest one potential add:
>>
>> Truncating for focus.... maybe between these two sections add
>> something like:
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>>> We are not aware of anyone trying to use the zulip or matrix servers
>>> for ietf work outside the main meeting.
>>> If you've used the services, please take a few minutes to provide
>>> feedback at tools-discuss@ietf.org <mailto:tools-discuss@ietf.org>.
>>
>> If you are interested in using these services more directly for your
>> working group's day-to-day communication, and are willing to test one
>> or both of these services on a primary basis for a while, please let
>> us know so we can help accommodate.   We especially encourage
>> leadership teams, and groups with an interest in remote
>> participation/communication to get involved here.
I think we directly approach the IESG, IAB, IRTF chair, and manycouches
(which is the shmoo list) with followup messages.

>> If you are one of those who has had, or has reported, issues using
>> Jabber, please take some time now to work with these new services and
>> help the IETF help the community.
>>
>> The more usage and exposure these services get, the better informed
>> the IETF's future planning will be.
>>
>>> Is providing local jabber accounts and a web interface to jabber
>>> sufficient?
>>> Are there features that matrix or zulip provide that are truly
>>> helpful for progressing IETF work? If so, please describe how they
>>> are helping.
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>> My thoughts just for this list (and its public archive):
>>
>> I feel like we don't want to just be observers here.  We've all heard
>> *repeated* complaints about Jabber.   I like Jabber, but, really,
>> we've gotten complaints, and here we're trying to solve issues, and
>> we've had...  37 people participate.
>>
>> I feel like we should encourage, even *prod*, the community to work
>> with these new services (including the new Jabber client services)
>> and really get involved in this process.
>>
>> And there are some obvious candidates for these things:
>>
>> * We should encourage the IESG, IAB, IRTF leadership teams to get
>> involved.  Not to mention the Tools Architecture Team, and even the
>> larger Tools-Discuss team.
>>
>> * We should encourage the XMPP, SHMOO, MANYCOUCHES, and any other
>> such groups to get involved.
>>
>> * We should encourage anyone currently using IETF Slack or other
>> alternative channels.
>>
>> * We should encourage the team members for each of the three
>> protocols (i.e. the people who set up Prosody/EJabberd, Matrix, and
>> Zulip) to step up and help us encourage participation.
>>
>> * Because Matrix has active attention from its developers, I have
>> been hanging out on Zulip, I'd like to make an Implementation stream
>> there and see if I can get the six of us involved.  :-)
Sure!