Re: [tram] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 25 September 2019 00:07 UTC

To: "Felipe Garrido (fegarrid)" <fegarrid@cisco.com>
Cc: "tram-chairs@ietf.org" <tram-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "tasveren@rbbn.com" <tasveren@rbbn.com>, "tram@ietf.org" <tram@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 19:06:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [tram] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 9/10/19 6:01 PM, Felipe Garrido (fegarrid) wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Please see responses, labeled with an [FG], inline with DISCUSS and
> COMMENTS. We’ve published a new version (-13) with the proposed changes.

Thanks. Responses inline.

> [FG] We went through the different options available to handle the
> Standards Track vs Experimental debate and following guidance offered
> by Ben Campbell, we’ve decided to pull the padding attribute
> definition into the document and remove the references to RFC5780 in
> the latest draft.

This seems fine to me.

> COMMENT:
>
> In the general case, STUN servers aren't aware of the signaling
> protocol that is
> in use. For example, when a TURN server is use with RTP and RTCP with
> a session
> set up via SIP, there is no requirement that the TURN server itself
> have any
> inherent knowledge of SIP or RTP or RTCP. From that perspective, the
> following
> text in section 4.2 is a bit confusing and/or problematic:
>
>   Some application layer protocols may already have a way of
>   identifying each individual UDP packet, in which case these
>   identifiers SHOULD be used in the IDENTIFIERS attribute of the Report
>   Response.
>
> It seems odd that I would have to teach my TURN server about the
> protocols I'm
> using it with just so that it can identify the packets.
>
> This behavior, combined with the requirement that all behavior be
> symmetrical
> ("As a result of the fact that all endpoints implementing this
> specification
> are both clients and servers") leads me to believe that perhaps the
> use cases
> that drove this mechanism are tightly scoped to direct peer-to-peer
> uses of ICE,
> while the other common uses of STUN (e.g., public TURN servers used for
> symmetric NAT traversal) were given no consideration. If that was
> intentional,
> then I think the abstract and introduction need to clearly describe the
> scenarios the mechanism was defined for; and, more importantly,
> clarify that it
> does not work for the general case, including STUN servers used for NAT
> traversal.
>
> I suspect that, once this mechanism begins to be deployed, the foregoing
> limitations will cause operational difficulties, which may in turn suggest
> changes to the mechanism that is currently defined, hence my
> suggestion above
> to recharacterize the mechanism as experimental.

> [FG]: I’m not sure I understand completely the point you’re trying to
> make but this draft does not propose a new protocol and therefore the
> TURN server does not need to be aware. The data will be tunneled
> within the STUN data stream. If I’m missing your point then please
> clarify.

It's not that this draft proposes a new protocol; it's the implications
of the passage that I quote above.

Perhaps I'm misreading it. But what I see is a (SHOULD-strength)
requirement that Report Response identifiers need to be set to the same
identifiers used by the application that is being tunneled through TURN
to identify their own packets.

Minimally, this is a layer violation.

It also implies that the TURN implementation, to meet this
SHOULD-strength requirement, has to (a) somehow detect which protocol is
being tunneled, (b) parse out the protocol being tunneled, and (c)
understand its semantics well enough to extract a protocol-level packet
identifier. Right? That seems fragile, subject to false positives, and
computationally expensive. And the reason for doing so seems completely
unmotivated by this document.

Again, I might be confused here; but, if that's the case, it's pretty
likely that someone else will be similarly confused by this text. Please
help me understand why this requirement exists, and explain what
implications it has for TURN servers.

/a