Re: [tram] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-27: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 18 July 2019 20:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:10:20 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <TirumaleswarReddy_Konda@mcafee.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "tram-chairs@ietf.org" <tram-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-tram-turnbis@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tram-turnbis@ietf.org>, "tram@ietf.org" <tram@ietf.org>, "brandon.williams@akamai.com" <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
Subject: Re: [tram] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-27: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:10:55AM +0000, Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Please see inline

I was thinking more like "When only a single address type is desired, the
REQUESTED-ADDRESS-FAMILY attribute is used to explicitly request [...].
If both IPv4 and IPv6 are desired, the single ADDITIONAL-ADDRESS-FAMILY
attribute indicates a request to the server to allocate [...]".

> [...]
> > >
> > > Good catch, removed conflicting text from Section 12.7.

> > and
> > feature.  Where am I messing this up?
> > >
> > > You are right, replaced with "obMatJos2gAAAadl7W7PeDU4hKE72jda" (hex)
> > > 80 00 00
> >
> > It's reassuring to know that I wasn't missing something obvious; thanks!
>
> Thanks for catching it :)

> > > Sure, updated examples.

> > considerations.

> > > Fixed.

> > > Yes, use pre-populated trust store on the endpoint to validate the
> > certificate path.

> > > No, STURN third-party authorization provides message integrity for both
> > request and response messages (please see
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7635#section-5).  The mac_key to compute the
> > message integrity can change per call and this mechanism is better than the
> > long-term password mechanism. Note that WebRTC uses third-party
> > authorization mechanism.
> >
> > Ah, that's reassuring to learn.  Sorry for the confusion.

> > > Yes, cannot read the value as sent on wire.
> >
> > I'd  suggest "is unable to access the state of", but that's entirely editorial and
> > at your discretion.
>
> Thanks, updated.

> > family).
> > ADDITIONAL-

> > > Yes.

> > > You missed the next line, it says the authentication of the request is
> > > optional to allow TURN servers provided by the local or access network
> > > to accept Allocation requests from new and/or guest users in the
> > > network who do not necessarily possess long term credentials for STUN
> > > authentication and its security implications are discussed in
> > > [RFC8155].
> >
> > I saw the next line; the current formulation also allows non-use of
> > authentication in other  situations, which is why I suggested an alternate
> > wording.
> >
> > > The WG spent several cycles discussing the downgrade of a MUST level
> > requirement (please see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8155#section-9).
> >
> > To be clear, I do not object to removing the MUST for the local-use case; I'm
> > concerned with the wording of the text that, as written, also weakens the
> > requirement for all other cases.
>
> Got it, updated step as follows:
>
>    1.   The TURN server provided by the local or access network MAY
>         allow unauthenticated request in order to accept Allocation
>         requests from new and/or guest users in the network who do not
>         necessarily possess long term credentials for STUN
>         authentication and its security implications are discussed in
>         [RFC8155].  Otherwise, the server MUST require that the request
>         be authenticated.  If the request is authenticated, the
>         authentication MUST be done either using the long-term credential
>         mechanism of [I-D.ietf-tram-stunbis] or the STUN Extension for
>         Third-Party Authorization [RFC7635] unless the client and server
>         agree to use another mechanism through some procedure outside

That should work (though I wonder if the RFC Editor will tweak things,
since the "otherwise" is separated by another sentence from the initial
case it's contrasting with).

I do note that the diff link you sent out also removes some text (in a 4.x
or 5.x section?) about "the server MUST demand that all requests from the
client be authenticated" after the "MUST implement [long-term credentials]"
requirement.  It might be worth making a forward reference from that
location to this text, if possible.

Thanks,

Ben