Re: [Trans] Precertificate format

Rob Stradling <rob.stradling@comodo.com> Tue, 28 October 2014 13:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:43:41 +0000
From: Rob Stradling <rob.stradling@comodo.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, "trans@ietf.org" <trans@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Trans] Precertificate format

On 25/10/14 17:51, Russ Housley wrote:
> I think you are suggesting the format used in a .p7c file.  If I understand correctly, I fully support this idea.

Hi Russ.  It's similar to .p7c in that it uses the SignedData structure.

 From RFC5652...
SignedData ::= SEQUENCE {
         version CMSVersion,
         digestAlgorithms DigestAlgorithmIdentifiers,
         encapContentInfo EncapsulatedContentInfo,
         certificates [0] IMPLICIT CertificateSet OPTIONAL,
         crls [1] IMPLICIT RevocationInfoChoices OPTIONAL,
         signerInfos SignerInfos }

A .p7c is a SignedData structure that contains one or more
"certificates", but nothing useful in "encapContentInfo" or "signerInfos".

What we're proposing is a SignedData structure that contains zero or
more "certificates" (CA certificates only), the TBSCertificate in
"encapContentInfo" and a signature from the CA in "signerInfos".

We'll need to define a new ContentType OID that means "TBSCertificate".

> Russ
>
>> We (the 6962-bis editors) would like to propose that we replace the existing precertificate formats with a TBSCertificate wrapped in PKCS#7. This lays to rest, we think, any possible confusion with X509v3 certs, whilst allowing a simple mapping between the final cert and the pre-cert.
>>
>> Obviously there are details to be nailed down, but before we do so, we'd like to hear any discussion on the general idea.

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.