[Trigtran] TRIGTRAN IETF 56 BoF Notes - please check for misquotes and confusion

Spencer Dawkins <spencer_dawkins@yahoo.com> Thu, 27 March 2003 21:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:01:06 -0800
From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer_dawkins@yahoo.com>
To: trigtran@ietf.org
Subject: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN IETF 56 BoF Notes - please check for misquotes and confusion
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

Thanks to Kevin and Tom for taking really good minutes!

This is what Carl and I know, so far - please let us know if we
got it wrong (in spite of our good note-takers)

Spencer, for Spencer and Carl

------------------------------------

Triggers for Transport BOF (trigtran)

Thursday, March 20 at 0900-1130
===============================

CHAIRS:	Carl Williams <carlw@mcsr-labs.org>
		Spencer Dawkins <spencer_dawkins@yahoo.com>

Thanks to our minutes-takers:
Kevin Fall <kevin.fall@intel.com>
		Tom Hiller <tomhiller@lucent.com>

Revisionism - Carl and Spencer were experimenting with the
terms "connectivity interrupted" and "connectivity restored" in
the framework draft and in the BoF, because "link down"
and "link up" didn't map cleanly onto multi-hop subnetwork
technologies, but we're going back to "link down" and "link up"
as "clear enough" - and these terms will be used in the BoF
minutes.

BoF Coordinates:

General Discussion: trigtran@ietf.org
In Body: subscribe
Archives:
www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/trigtran/current/maillist.html

BOF agenda and description:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/03mar/trigtran.txt

Final Agenda:

- Introductions, Scribes, Jabber Scribes, Agenda-Bashing

- Status Update and Strawperson Statement of Work

- Issues identified in Framework draft

- Questions leading to a WG charter

- Next Steps to a TRIGTRAN working group?

Status Update and Strawperson Statement of Work

There are two current Internet-Drafts produced by Carl and
Spencer as straw-person proposals on a problem statement and a
framework. These drafts are

	draft-dawkins-trigtran-framework-00.txt
	draft-dawkins-trigtran-probstmt-01.txt

This BoF is a "second BoF". The first TRIGTRAN BoF was held at
IETF 55, and focused on the problem statement; this BoF focused
on what we learned from doing a framework proposal and on next
steps to chartering TRIGTRAN as a working group.

Spencer made the canonical TRIGTRAN disclaimers:

- TRIGTRAN isn’t L2 triggers

- TRIGTRAN trigger delivery not guaranteed

- No notification ACKs; partial deployment scenarios

The framework draft considers 3 canonical triggers:

-	Link up
-	Link down
-	Packet Discarded by subnetwork, not due to connection

"Link Up" seems easier in the short term.  There is some
previous thinking on it: see Phil Karn’s posting on "Kicking
TCP" on PILC list 3/2000m available at

As for "Link Down", this notification "should" make sense. It
does make sense intuitively. The problem is that the response
might be application-specific - some TCP senders might wait
longer to close a TCP connection, while others might give up
sooner. Is there a canonical response? We need to understand
the applications better before we can posit how to respond to
this notification.

As for "Packet Discarded", we've realized that in a cellular
environment this notification may result from a handoff - if
so, the TCP sender would already have received a Link Up
indication from the TCP receiver over its new connection path.
Conceptually, a TCP sender should slow-start when path
bandwidth changes, but if the mobile has merely moved from a
lightly loaded cell to another lightly loaded cell, TCP could
just continue in its current state without going to slow start.
The new cell is as likely to be less congested as it is likely
to be more congested, so ignoring the handoff, as TCPs do
today, is still a reasonable strategy. Would telling the
transport really help?

Spencer summarized a private conversation with Mark Allman
as, "Gee, maybe TCP does pretty well often times on its own.
You may be able to find cases where you could do better with
notifications, but by the time you make sure the response to a
notification doesn't have undesirable side effects in other
cases, TCP doesn't look so bad"

Co-chair summary Link Up seems ready for prime-time, Link Down
may be in the near future; Packet Discarded seems less ready.

Spencer (and Carl) proposed a strawperson Statement of Work:

- spin up working group and do ‘link up’
	Specify response for dup pkts during RTO
	Safe, good consensus

- investigate ‘link down’ semantics
	What should transport do here?

- investigate explicit mechanisms
	Can we send OOB signals in the Internet in 2005?

- build consensus on wish list for IAB/IRTF investigation?
	Horizontal handoff, non-congestion loss, corruption
	Send wish list to Leslie and Vern and ask for help
        (this is something mobileIP and others are doing)

-- Q and A --

Sally Floyd: terminology: why “connectivity restored” vs "link
up"? One link up might not have anything to do w/e2e
connectivity

Spencer: You’re right — the previous ‘link up’ term is more
appropriate

Bernard Aboba: need to be clear about the meaning of
notifications. There's a distinction between link ‘up’
vs ‘fully functional’ - a link can be “up” but may not provide
very useful connectivity. It can be quite tricky as to  just
when you send the trigger.

Spencer: Would notifications about nominal BW changes be useful?

Bernard: I was just thinking re link up; but if I was told of a
rate change that doesn’t seem so obviously relevant

Kevin Fall: you may have cases in which the link is ‘up’ but
error rate is rather too bad to be very useful.  This has been
explored some time ago in SCPS.

Phillipe Gentric: knowing a rate change could be quite helpful
for streaming media

Spencer: Maybe a bandwidth change would be some form of maximum
[a speed limit through a link], so the indicator is essentially
saying you might as well not go faster than that to the
transport.

Allison Mankin: maybe we are out of scope here; we don’t really
have links that tell us their max bandwidth at the moment

Sally: It's not obvious what scope should be; some things have
been investigated but others haven’t been.  At a minimum, maybe
TRIGTRAN could write a problem statement. This group could
define the trigger; sending the entire problem to a research
group may not be enough, but a problem statement might well be
appropriate.

Eg. DCCP partial checksum issue came up.  Should you allow
corrupted data to be delivered to apps [or to lower layers].
Or should it be marked somehow as corrupted.  Where would this
sort of issue be addressed? perhaps here, or perhaps somewhere
in IRTF.

Another: as we build transport protocols robust to re-ordering,
[and there is no reason they couldn’t be]--- would you want a
way for the transport to tell some lower layer that it robust
to re-ordering so feel free to re-order.  So, I don’t know.
Not clear where speculative, fleshing-out activities should
take place.

Spencer: We have been trying to maximize the amount of sanity
we appear to have.  We were trying to stay grounded in minimal
notifications, not to spend time thinking about what to
usefully speculate about. Now that we've been through a
strawperson framework, maybe it would make sense now to add
some of these speculative things to the discussion topics.

Mark Handley: Various forms of these issues have arisen over
the years.  We don’t have good institutional memory.  If we
investigate why *not* to do something, we should write this
down somewhere, so we can remember why we *don't* do things.

Spencer: Yes, I found some things like this looking over older
discussions.

Allison Mankin: We have a group of community members in the
IETF who are largely not researchers; there are some
interesting questions (e.g. how long to wait, what to do, is it
really up or down, etc).  Just getting this right is useful –
there is engineering to do with issues like "link flapping".
We aren’t inventing a research group here.  I’m trying to not
sound too ‘top down’ here.  We would not want to include the
researchy stuff in the charter.  Probably having a wish list
possibly for another group might be good, but we should not be
doing work such as congestion handling here.

Bernard: The more I learn, the more I would like to have a
document that describes the general characteristics of various
links.  A link tutorial for the group would be useful.  Of the
existing literature, what are the results and conclusions?
These are not static characteristics but dynamic ones.  I take
this to mean a survey document.  This would be the first item
of order to complete. It's not exactly the same stuff that PILC
did.  Maybe different than PILC because here we are concerned
with signaling, which is more dynamic.

Allison: You are suggesting a sort of survey doc?  That would
be part of the charter[?] hmmm.

Spencer: TCP-SAT WG produced a doc that summarized the research
topics.

Allison: yeah, maybe ok.  We would like to have a well and
narrowly focused group.  This is my answer to Sally.  Now we
have Bernard's suggestion.

Spencer: Maybe we could do this in parallel [both the research
and engineering-ish documents]

Aaron Falk: [former chair of TCP-SAT] I’m not sure that the
research doc was so useful.  I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing it
again, but wouldn’t want to take WG resources away from other
tasks.  There are all sorts of subtleties.  The charter must be
narrow and well focused. I would rather go deep than broad.  I
don’t see that a TRIGTRAN research mechanisms document is a
great investment of resources.

Gorry Fairhurst: there are many things we could signal, but we
don’t know what we would do.  I think doing a big survey would
unearth lots of stuff we probably don’t want to deal with.

Spencer: Doing the framework revealed a fairly rich set of
things that come up.

Bernard: Given a media, how reliable is an indication?  This
sort of documentation could be quite useful.  So, a [control]
system observing an indication has to have some understanding
of what to believe.  This applies to rates also.  The question
is how reliable is it, how much skepticism should be applied
when receiving a trigger.

Spencer: Carl and I were assuming it would be helpful to know
what different subnet technologies had the capability to send.
Bernard is perhaps stating that the mapping of link condition
to trigger could be more formal than we had been thinking.
Hmmm.

Allison: Maybe an appendix could include examples that could be
cautionary or provide examples.  Gathering those would be good.
The working group could contribute these.

Vince Park: I agree w/Bernard.  It is difficult to decide what
to take as an indication and how to interpret it.  Probably a
good idea.  Has come up in mobileIP, MANET, and others.
Ultimately you have to decide how to map L2 type information
into a higher-layer indicator. May be bigger scope than TSV-
only.

Ethan Blanton: for some triggers we aren’t sure we need a
*protocol*.  Not sure it is worth putting that much energy into
a protocol until we are sure we need one.

Aaron Falk: We're not just talking about the format of "bits on
the wire". We need to define the semantics of what
notifications you get and how you respond.  None of that stuff
has been hashed out.  I believe some of these things may be
valuable, but maybe there are cases where there are problems.
There is work to do there.

Ethan: I didn’t mean to indicate that we shouldn’t do this
work.  Just maybe a first-order item may be not to define the
protocol, but whether or not a small subset of triggers are
needed given certain links.

Spencer: I would like to agree.  The mechanism appropriate for
link up is different from every other notification we’ve talked
about.  If all we have to do is link up, we don’t need the
whole framework.  Is this responsive to your question?

Ethan: yeah, I think so.  If you carve out a space that doesn’t
need a protocol, you could still be concerned with what to do.

Rick: from Mobile IP, we have been playing w/L2 triggers.
Getting their semantics sorted out is important.  We may need
them for all sorts of things.

Mark Allman: I’m not so concerned about ‘link up’ per-se, but
exactly what you should do with it should be taken with some
caution.   (e.g. DCCP with this indication would do what
exactly?)

Spencer: We’ve been encouraged to look at other transports
(e.g. SCTP).  Now that DCCP seems to exist, we should be
looking there too.

Sally: I agree the question is open as to implicit vs explicit
signals and that we need definitions for explicit ones and
descriptions for implicit ones.  Explicit signals might not be
the right answer.

Mark Handley: Does the sender of the signal need to know about
all future transports?  This is a complex space—interactions
with lots of things [tunnels, security whatever].  Need to be
careful.

Spencer: My experience is that transport area is cautious.

Randall Stewart: I also don’t know what I would do on link-up
in SCTP stack.  Other than (some) relationship to heartbeats,
I’m not sure how useful this is.

Spencer: I had thought TCP people want link up and SCTP people
want link down, based on conversations at IETF 55.

Randall: I feel somewhat uncomfortable with link down given the
possible DoS issues.

--- Issues in the framework draft—

Aaron Falk suggested that we focus this discussion on Link Up,
because we haven't gotten consensus on another notification
that's compelling

Spencer: link-up needs very little framework, and other stuff
isn’t baked yet. The framework document is not really a
completed framework.  We are exploring an approach.

Aaron: Spencer, I’d like to suggest that we might have a
consensus in the room that there is strong support for link-up
and maybe some opposition to others.  If you accept that, the
framework is somewhat superfluous in the context of just doing
link-up.  Take a poll of the room to see.