Re: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN IETF 56 BoF Notes - please check for misquotes and confusion

Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se> Fri, 28 March 2003 09:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:30:55 +0100
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer_dawkins@yahoo.com>
From: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN IETF 56 BoF Notes - please check for misquotes and confusion
Cc: trigtran@ietf.org
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

At 23:01 27.03.2003, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>Allison: This is the third in a series of BOFs that seems to be
>trying to not generalize the overall triggers problem.  Is this
>part of the Internet area; seems that it isn’t happening there
>either.  Nobody seems to want to own it.  I have a general
>question — I should ask “how pressing is this problem”?  How
>often do we get caught in this state?  Maybe this inconvenience
>isn’t worth the effort [like building the WG].  Maybe we should
>take a poll as to whether you have this problem?
>
>Spencer and Carl: Hand poll was maybe 30 people or so that felt
>they had this problem.
>
>Reiner: In TCP over Sat, Wideband CDMA, etc.  this just happens
>all the time, its not a big deal.  Maybe it is for something
>else.  For wireless wide-area networks, this just happens.  Can
>we get comments from the other people that said yes?

I'm sure I didn't express myself clear enough at the mic. What I wanted to
say is quite the opposite: I'm looking at TCP over wide-area wireless
networks (cellular 2.5G/3G, mostly GPRS and WCDMA; not SAT though) for a
couple of years now, and I know of many real world measurements, not all of
which have been made public. But, the problem of a TCP sender that is stuck
with a backed-off RTO due to some transient link outage is rare in these
environments. I does happen occasionally, though.

I would add (I didn't say that at the mic) that one reason for this is that
vendors of these networks seem to follow
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-13.txt
(8.2 Recovery from Subnetwork Outages) - a soon-to-be BCP RFC. Another
reason is that such networks do lossless handovers.

That's why I asked you to list some networks where you have seen this to be
a real problem. That way people can better judge as Allison said: “how
pressing is this problem”.

///Reiner