Re: [trill] Comments on draft-ietf-trill-cmt-00

zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn Mon, 15 October 2012 03:34 UTC

To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
From: zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:34:11 +0800
Cc: trill-bounces@ietf.org, trill@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [trill] Comments on draft-ietf-trill-cmt-00

Hi Donald,

> - The draft should be clear that when doing the RPFC for a
> multi-destination TRILL Data packet ingressed with a virtual RBridge
> nickname, the RPFC must assume that the TRILL Data packet might use
> any of the trees that any of the RBk might use.

Do you mean that RBn ignores the egress nickname in a received
multi-destinaion TRILL data packet with a virtual RBridge nickname
when it does RPFC for that packet in that case? Or if I am wrong,
please give a clearer explanation on that sentence by using an example.

Best Regards,
Zhai Hongjun
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
 Protocol Development Dept.VI, Central R&D Institute, ZTE Corporation
 No. 68, Zijinghua Road, Yuhuatai District, Nanjing, P.R.China, 210012

 Zhai Hongjun

 Tel: +86-25-52877345
 Email: zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
发件人:  trill-bounces@ietf.org
2012-10-13 23:15

收件人
trill@ietf.org
抄送

主题
[trill] Comments on draft-ietf-trill-cmt-00

There are my personal comments on draft-ietf-trill-cmt-00. I suggest
that after these and the few other comments have been handled, the -01
version be WG Last Called.

- Some acronyms need to be spelled out on first use.

- I think Figure 1 and Figure 2 are a bit muddled and should be
clarified to show separate connections from each RBk to each CEn. It
is also not clear to me why "DRB" occurs in the figures and I think it
should be dropped.

- The draft should be clear that when doing the RPFC for a
multi-destination TRILL Data packet ingressed with a virtual RBridge
nickname, the RPFC must assume that the TRILL Data packet might use
any of the trees that any of the RBk might use.

- The could be problems if a virtual RBridge nickname was taken away
by a real RBridge somewhere else in the campus that is higher priority
to hold a nickname. Perhaps the draft should suggest that virtual
RBridge nicknames are usually configured  and should be held with
maximum priority with with configured or unconfigured priority ranges,
as appropriate...

- I think it should be possible to use the Affinity Sub-TLV to change
the structure of multi-destination distribution trees in places other
than at the edge. So they should be valid as long as they do not
conflict even if the requested child is a real RBridge. But, of
course, the requested child has to be an adjacent RBridge and the
draft should say what it would mean if some RBridge lists, as a
requested child for some tree, its parent in that tree.

Thanks,
Donald