Re: [trill] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-mtu-negotiation-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 06 July 2017 09:36 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Warren Kumari' <warren@kumari.net>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-trill-mtu-negotiation@ietf.org, trill-chairs@ietf.org, trill@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 05:31:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [trill] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-mtu-negotiation-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren:

As the shepherd, thank you for your comments and DISCUSS.  Part of this
discuss appears to be a process discuss on:
1) What you want to see in the shepherd's report
2) How you want to see discussions represented on the mail list.

It is always a pleasure to readjust shepherd's reports to answer the current
IESG questions as opposed to the previous year's IESG questions.   Shepherd
and WG chairs serve to enlighten IESG, and I am glad to provide any details
I can for you.

 Let me provide you the background:

1) 2015 IESG member - So, previous IESG members like to see the mail list
comments without any editorializing.   Hence, this format

2) Relevant vibrant discussion occurred in face-to-face meetings at IETF
meetings.

The TRILL WG transition between the INT and RTG WG area and we have been
pushing documents through at best possible speed.  You will note a steady
progression of drafts in the history.   Why so lengthy a time?   First, the
transition of the area required that the RTG-DIR reviews occurred.  Until
our current Routing ADs revised the RTG-DIR QA review process to be like the
OPS-DIR review process, TRILL reviews were simply not being processed.
Second, we were getting feedback slowly from other groups.

I see interesting feedback from Transport based on the new Transport review
system that we may take back to the WG.  I am not quite clear on all of
Magnus' points - but at least it is substantive reviews.   Our previous "no
comment" state plus the stall in the review process for 1 year - has a
tendency to make WGs stall.   As Alia may have mentioned, we are trying to
complete all of these drafts and publish these drafts.

3) Finally, we started with 3 companies:  Huawei, cisco, and brocade - with
pre-standards or standards.   Due to business environments, the three
companies are now: Huawei, IP-Infusion, and the legacy work in brocade and
cisco.

So, please let me know what you want in the shepherd's report.  If this type
of history is useful, I am happy to provide this level of discussion in the
shepherd's reports.  Or more details on the specific pros/cons of the
discussion.

3) updates/news - Again,  previous reviews had said this was not useful
information.   Such statements, is "why include this information?"  Tends to
make people less interested in including this in the future.   Donald
Eastlake and other authors who used to include this - stopped putting it in.
If you would like the update information as an appendix, we can add it.

Thank you for your excellent process questions.

Sue Hares