Re: [trill] draft-mme-trill-fcoe as an independent submission

"Pat Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com> Fri, 19 October 2012 23:59 UTC

From: Pat Thaler <pthaler@broadcom.com>
To: Jon Hudson <jon.hudson@gmail.com>, "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:59:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.16.203.100]
Cc: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, Anoop Ghanwani <anoop@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: [trill] draft-mme-trill-fcoe as an independent submission

The draft seems to have only partly implemented the comments from INCITS T11.

Terminology usage that is inconsistent with FC-BB-5 FCoE definitions. As defined in FC-BB-5, the FCF includes any Ethernet Switching Elements that are packaged with the FC Switching Element. FCoE. Therefore, the box labeled FCF in Figure 2 is not an FCF, it is an FC Switching Element plus its underlying FC layer 2 virtual ports and FCoE link end points. The FCF in that picture is the whole FCRB.

There seems to have been some attempt at a change to respond to the comment on Figures 4 and 5 but it still implies that hop by hop forwarding from FCF to FCF is likely. In fact, each FCF will attempt to initiate Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) with each FCF that it sees. Therefore, there will be an ISL between ToR 1 and ToR 2 unless there are some management constraints applied such that ToR 1 only sees EoR and can not send directly to ToR 2. Therefore, the more likely forwarding for the packet described in 3.2.3.1 is that the FCF in ToR 1 addresses the packet to the FCF in ToR 2 and the packet flows through the RBridge in the EoR but not through the FCF in EoR. Similarly in 3.2.3.2, the likely FCF path is from ToR to Core bypassing the FCF in the EoR. Given the choice of 2 hops or 1 hop (from the Fibre Channel view of hops), FSPF is generally going to choose 1 hop.

It is theoretically possible to put in constraints so that the extra FCF hop is taken, but it isn't clear that there is any reason to do so and the draft doesn't describe doing that so in describing the path, the draft should describe the more likely path.

The words in the last paragraph of 3.1 were rearranged, but it still says about the same thing.  The comment that the paragraph should be toned down hasn't been addressed by that change.

Even as an individual draft, the corrections should be made, especially terminology consistency and describing the more likely path for a packet.

Regards,
Pat