Re: [trill] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-p2mp-bfd-08: (with COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 24 January 2018 18:59 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Eric Rescorla' <ekr@rtfm.com>, "'Zhangmingui (Martin)'" <zhangmingui@huawei.com>
Cc: 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, trill-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-trill-p2mp-bfd@ietf.org, trill@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:59:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [trill] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-p2mp-bfd-08: (with COMMENT)

Eric:

Is there something I missed here.  The referenced document is RFC5880 section 6.7 starts out:

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5880#section-6.7> 6.7.  Authentication

   An optional Authentication Section MAY be present in the BFD Control

   packet.  In its generic form, the purpose of the Authentication

   Section is to carry all necessary information, based on the

   authentication type in use, to allow the receiving system to

   determine the validity of the received packet.  The exact mechanism

   depends on the authentication type in use, but in general the

   transmitting system will put information in the Authentication

   transmitting system will put information in the Authentication

   Section that vouches for the packet's validity, and the receiving
   system will examine the Authentication Section and either accept the
   packet for further processing or discard it.

The section 6.7 describes four types of authentication: simple password [6.7.2] , Keyed MD5 and Meticulous Keyed MD5 [6.7.3], Keyed SHA and Meticulous Key SHA1 authentication [6.7.4].

Do you wish TRILL to recommend a particular authentication for this draft if they use the BFD authentication?

Please note that Kathleen noted this problem based on the sec-dir-review:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/secdir/KAZevWuVQAiukpRBKgjm7YIATRg

Donald Eastlake’s response to the sec-dir review, and the changes in -08.txt are related to this issue.

Donald points out that the RFC7978 provide strong authentication, and that we have a group keying mechanism ready for WG LC.  If you have  a moment, perhaps you can look at the group keying draft as well:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-group-keying/

It would be helpful to me as a WG chair to know if we have missed anything before we go into WG LC with this document in 2 days. Donald will be glad to answer additional questions on the group keying draft.

Cheerily, Susan Hares