Re: [trill] Fwd: Mail regarding draft-ietf-trill-over-ip

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Mon, 04 May 2015 16:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 09:12:29 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
Cc: "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [trill] Fwd: Mail regarding draft-ietf-trill-over-ip

On 5/3/2015 8:19 PM, Xuxiaohu wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm wondering whether your proposal as below is also applicable to
> other UDP-based encapsulation approaches which have not yet considered
> doing fragmentation on the tunnel layer, such as GENEVE, VXLAN-GPE,
> GRE-in-UDP and NSH-UDP.

Again:

We know of at least four things that tunnels need that IP-in-UDP ignores:

	- stronger checksums

	- fragmentation support

	- signalling support (e.g., to test whether a tunnel is up or
	to measure MTUs)

	- support for robust ID fields (related to fragmentation,
	e.g., to overcome the limits of IPv4 ID as per RFC 6864)

I haven't scrubbed GUE to ensure that all four are addressed, but it may
be more than the above, and certainly it's important not to start from
scratch needlessly.

Joe