[trill] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-04: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 19 August 2015 12:01 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 05:01:29 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach.shepherd@ietf.org, draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach.ad@ietf.org, trill-chairs@ietf.org, trill@ietf.org, d3e3e3@gmail.com, draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach@ietf.org
Subject: [trill] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-04: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach/

COMMENT:

- abstract: "Thus, remote edge RBridges are required to keep
multiple locations of one MAC address in one Data Label." I
find that very hard to read and don't understand what it's
telling me. Even if these terms are terms-of-art for trill, it'd
be worth being less opaque in the abstract. I have the same
problem with the intro. I think if you tried to be specific
about whose MAC address you mean (a host attached to RBridges
in the AAE) and also explained (or avoided) the term "Data
Label" here that'd help.

- 5.1: for how long is a remote RBridge "required to adhere"?
(Sorry if that's clear in 4.1, in which case I missed it.)

- 5.3.2: "well-known split horizon technique" just screams for
a reference. Please add one, which is presumably easy to do as
this is well-known:-)

- security considerations: I'm surprised there's nothing new
here. Did someone do the analysis to check? (Sorry for doubting
you but security considerations sections like this that only
consist of references are often an indicator that nobody did
take a real look;-) One possible example (not sure if it
works): if I can fake an ESADI message then I could pretend to
be the RBridge in the AAE that has least cost and so lots of
traffic would be sent to me, instead of the real RBridges in
the AAE.  Compared to the situation without this specification,
that might mean a more effective attack. Now I'm not really
sure if that's true or not (I'm sure you'll tell me) but my
question is whether or not those kinds of thing were considered
already.