Re: [trill] TRILL OAM Framework

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Tue, 03 July 2012 15:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:30:09 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Tissa Senevirathne (tsenevir)" <tsenevir@cisco.com>, "Samer Salam (ssalam)" <ssalam@cisco.com>, trill@ietf.org
Cc: Sam Aldrin <sam.aldrin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [trill] TRILL OAM Framework

Hi Tissa,

See in-line.

Regards,

Dan

[[DR]] According to RFC 6291 M is for Maintenance.

> - 'OAM, in general, covers multiple areas, including: ...' - and then
> FCAPS are listed. This is wrong. These are actually not 'aspects of
OAM'
> but the five functional areas in the OSI model for Network Management
> defined in the 80s (ISO/IEC 7498-4).
>
> [Answer] If the reference is to what is listed towards end of the
> Introduction then we can fix the usage .

[[DR]] It's wrong IMO to claim that FCAPS is about OAM. FCAPS is about
Network Management. It does not cover accounting, and seldom carries
security information for example. The paragraph about 'multiple areas'
should be taken out completely. You do not need it, just say that you
focus on carrying faults and performance functionality.

> Reference Text cut and pasted below from Introduction..
>
>    OAM, in general, covers multiple areas, including:
>    - Fault Management
>    - Performance Management
>    - Configuration
>    - Accounting
>    - Security
>

> I do not know if this confusion between OAM and network management is
> intentional or not, but it's a confusion. OAM and Network Management
are
> different things, there are areas of interaction and relations between
> the two, but they need to be kept distinct and such confusions need to
> be avoided.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Behalf