Re: [trill] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-01.txt

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Thu, 15 November 2012 20:32 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: Radia Perlman <radiaperlman@gmail.com>, Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:31:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.151.168]
Cc: "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [trill] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-01.txt

Radia,

Thanks for the comments.
Want to clarify that "draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework" is only intended to describe the benefits of directory assistance for TRILL network and the high level stuff (e.g. basic Pull/Push models). The draft is not intended for describing the detailed mechanism.

The mechanism which we discussed last week is described in "draft-dunbar-trill-scheme-for-directory-assist" (which is still a personal draft).

I think it is necessary to have the framework document so that we don't have to justify why directory assistance is needed for TRILL. We already spent 3 IETF meeting cycles to justify why we need directory assistance. It will be more productive to separate justification from the mechanisms, so the discussion can be focused.

As for describing policy (or ACL in your email), we discussed to add as responses to Pull request to the detailed mechanism. I can add a simple statement in the framework to indicate that Policy can be added and leave the details to the mechanism draft.

Linda