Re: [trill] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-trill-fine-labeling-02.txt

Olen Stokes <ostokes@extremenetworks.com> Wed, 21 November 2012 05:07 UTC

From: Olen Stokes <ostokes@extremenetworks.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:07:37 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [trill] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-trill-fine-labeling-02.txt

Trying NOT to add anything more in lineŠ

It seems that multiple different people have multiple different migration
scenarios in mind.  I think that several of us could benefit from
something that better spells out what scenario(s) the authors have in
mind.  Donald's scenarios described in his response to my previous email
would have helped the draft.  We can then discuss if there are others that
need to be considered.

We seem to be discussing three types of nodes:

1) VL-only capable RBridges
2) VL and FGL capable RBridges
3) FGL-only capable Rbridges

For the third (FGL-only) type, remember that at some point people will
want to drop support for the VL RBridges.  There may also be silicon out
that that can operate in VL mode or in FGL mode but not both at the same
time.  Note, I am not a silicon person.

If these three types are intended, a more clear statement of the
requirements for each time might be of benefit.  The requirements should
describe ingress, egress, transit, and transit plus egress RBridges. If
one of these types is not intended, then a clear statement that it is not
supported may be in order.  It could then be debated.

I believe that Donald has described that the second type above (VL and FGL
capable RBridge) is a requirement.  To me, the best case for that
requirement is in a multi-topolgy environment.  Stating that use case
would have made the document and that requirement more clear to me.  I
leave it to others to figure out how to reference something that might be
defined in another draft (at some point in the future).  Note that to me,
a "VL and FGL capable" node acting only as a VL node is just a VL RBridge.

Cheers,
Olen