Re: [trill] New version : TRILL Smart Endnodes draft

zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn Fri, 11 January 2013 02:32 UTC

To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
From: zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:32:32 +0800
Cc: "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>, "Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@Dell.com" <Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@dell.com>, Radia Perlman <radiaperlman@gmail.com>, "hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn" <hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [trill] New version : TRILL Smart Endnodes draft

> Some the latest messages in this thread are because all TRILL switches
are required to
> support VLANs but not necessarily fine grained labels. So if a smart
endnote wanted to
> use FGL TRILL Data frames and was connected to both VL and FGL TRILL
switches, it would
> want to know which was which.

Maybe I have not made my meaning clear, so I try to make it clearer using
an example.

Assume E is an smartnode connected to TRILL campus through RB1. There are
2,000
RBridges in TRILL campus where 1,000 of them support FGL, and the
remainder 1,000
Rbridges do not support FGL. In this scenario, when E encapsulates a
non-unicast
frame into TRILL data frames with FGL and transmit in TRILL, it MUST know
exactly
which RBridges support FGL, then it has to TRILL unicast such a frame to
all
relevant egress RBridges (of the remainder 1,000 RBridges). Otherwise,if
it does not
know the relevant egress RBridges, it has to employ a tree to multicast
the frame.
And that frame will be discarded by non-FGL RBridges and not able to reach
the
interested end nodes

So if E wants to send TRILL Data packets(including multi-destination
packets) with fine
grained labels, it must learn which RBridges support FGL, which do not
support FGL.
Maybe RB1 can tell E the 1,000 FGL-RBridges by its hellos to E1 if Hello
packet can
accommodate so many RBridges nicknames.

Best Regards,
Zhai Hongjun
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
 Protocol Development Dept.VI, Central R&D Institute, ZTE Corporation
 No. 68, Zijinghua Road, Yuhuatai District, Nanjing, P.R.China, 210012

 Zhai Hongjun

 Tel: +86-25-52877345
 Email: zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
2013-01-11 09:48

收件人
Radia Perlman <radiaperlman@gmail.com>
抄送
zhai.hongjun@zte.com.cn, "hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn" <hu.fangwei@zte.com.cn>,
"Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@Dell.com" <Kesava_Vijaya_Krupak@dell.com>, Linda
Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>
主题
Re: [trill] New version : TRILL Smart Endnodes draft

Maybe I should have used a TRILL Header extension as an example of
additional information that can be included by sending the TRILL Data
packet rather than egressing.

Some the latest messages in this thread are because all TRILL switches are
required to support VLANs but not necessarily fine grained labels. So if a
smart endnote wanted to use FGL TRILL Data frames and was connected to
both VL and FGL TRILL switches, it would want to know which was which.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3@gmail.com

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Radia Perlman <radiaperlman@gmail.com>