Re: [rbridge] merging draft-tissa-trill-oam anddraft-ietf-trill-rbridge-oam

Santosh Rajagopalan <sunny.rajagopalan@us.ibm.com> Thu, 15 March 2012 22:24 UTC

To: Sam Aldrin <aldrin.ietf@gmail.com>
From: Santosh Rajagopalan <sunny.rajagopalan@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:48:47 -0600
Cc: "rbridge@postel.org" <rbridge@postel.org>, rbridge-bounces@postel.org
Subject: Re: [rbridge] merging draft-tissa-trill-oam anddraft-ietf-trill-rbridge-oam
Sender: rbridge-bounces@postel.org

I think that we're starting to talk past each other. May I suggest taking
each of the ping/traceroute situations on a case-by-case basis to see how
each proposal handles it?

Basically, can one of the authors summarize the approach in
draft-tissa-trill-oam for ping/traceroute to discover:

a. multidestination unpruned trees.

b. multidestination pruned trees (per multicast group).

c. tracing the path taken by a real multicast flow.

d. unicast path discovery for each multipath

e. unicast path discovery for real flow.

I understand this will be a restatement of information that's present in
draft-tissa-trill-oam, and I apologize for that. I'm looking for a more
concise presentation of the approach. I am having trouble arranging the
information in draft-tissa-trill-oam into the categories I've suggested
above. You can use as a template the email I sent out originally starting
this thread.

As for the discussion below about whether properties should be queried via
SNMP or ICMP OAM, I would simply suggest that we make a choice one way or
the other. After all, if you add the ability to query mac addresses, DRBs
etc to OAM (and these are already present in draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib
), then why stop there? Why not incorporate everything in the SNMP MIB
into the ICMP query framework? After all, if SNMP is truly "expensive and
intensive", why stop with DRB queries? I would then suggest doing away
with the trill mib and using icmp as the query mechanism for all
properties. Really, I'm ok either way, but I think we should pick one so
that people don't end up implementing the same thing twice.

--
Sunny Rajagopalan