[trill] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Thu, 08 March 2018 13:44 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes@ietf.org, trill-chairs@ietf.org, shares@ndzh.com, trill@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 05:44:54 -0800
Subject: [trill] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes/

DISCUSS:

Review in context at: https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D3548

   Smart Endnodes would not bring more security and vulnerability issues
   than the TRILL ES-IS security defined in [RFC8171].

IMPORTANT: I think you need to discuss the security implications of
checking and/or not checking the smart endnodes MAC address (a MAY in
S 5.2). My understanding is that TRILL is kind of wishy-washy on MAC
spoofing in general, but if you *do* have some sort of MAC enforcement
in place but you don't enforce here, then this obviously bypasses
that. Similar comments apply to the SmartHello filtering, I think.

   Smart-Hellos can be secured by using Authentication TLVs based on
   [RFC5310].

I concur with Ben that you should explain the consequences of doing this or not.

COMMENT:

If SE1 wishes to correspond with destination MAC D, and no endnode
   entry exists, SE1 will encapsulate the packet as an unknown

Should D be shown on the diagram below? I don't see it.

      the same meaning as the Holding Time field in IS-IS Hellos [IS-IS]
      . A Smart Endnode and an Edge RBridge supporting Smart Endnodes
      MUST send a Smart-Hello at least three times during their Holding

Ooh, bad break here at this period.

   o  MAC(i): This is a 48-bit MAC address reachable in the Data Label
      given from the Smart Endnode that is announcing this APPsub-TLV.

does "given from" mean something different than "sent by"?

   o  When SE1 wishes to send a multi-destination (multicast, unknown
      unicast, or broadcast) to the TRILL campus, SE1 encapsulates the
      packet using one of the trees that RB1 has specified.

I see this called "BUM" in other documents. This is a nit, but do you
want to use consistent terminology?