Re: Proposals to clarify xyzIntervalValidData description

"C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc." <heard@vvnet.com> Fri, 12 June 1998 18:01 UTC

Delivery-Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:01:13 -0400
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:50:41 -0700
From: "C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc." <heard@vvnet.com>
To: atommib@thumper.bellcore.com, trunk-mib@external.cisco.com
Subject: Re: Proposals to clarify xyzIntervalValidData description

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Rajesh Abbi wrote:

> I'm glad to see the addition of the 'IntervalValidData' flags to the interval
> tables.
>
> I would also mention other cases where data may not be collected for
> an interval by the agent:
> - Agent unable to keep up with data collection due to equipment performance
>    problems.
> - Equipment may be in a state where data collection is interrupted.

I think that this would be covered by the second of the two proposed
description clauses in my note (that's certainly what was intended):

      "This variable assumes the value true(1) if the data stored       XXX
      for this interval is both valid and complete.  It is set to       XXX
      false(2) if the data stored for this interval is incomplete       XXX
      or otherwise invalid because:                                     XXX
                                                                        XXX
      - the data stored for this interval is for a period greater       XXX
      or less than 15 minutes;  or                                      XXX
                                                                        XXX
      - some data is missing (e.g., when a near-end defect prevents     XXX
      some far-end data from being collected)."                         XXX

If you think that additional clarification is needed, however, you are
welcome to propose specific text.

> An important case needs to be addressed explicitly in the MIBs - what happens
> when an interface's ifAdminStatus is set to 'down' by a manager.  In my
> opinion the data collection must be stopped while the ifAdminStatus is 'down'.
> This will be another case when data in an interval may be incomplete.
>
> What's the opinion of others ?

It's certainly true that data cannot be collected when the interface is
off-line.  It had not occurred to me that someone might assume otherwise.
Again, if you feel that additional clarification is needed, please propose
specific text.

> Rajesh

Mike
--