Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-27

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 25 March 2019 13:04 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
CC: "tsv-art@ietf.org" <tsv-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dots-data-channel.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dots-data-channel.all@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:04:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.245]
Subject: Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-27

Hi Brian,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] It is based on the cdid. 'cdid' is assumed to be supplied by a trusted gateway:

      DOTS servers MUST ignore 'cdid' attributes that are directly
      supplied by source DOTS clients or client-domain DOTS gateways.
      This implies that first server-domain DOTS gateways MUST strip
      'cdid' attributes supplied by DOTS clients.  DOTS servers SHOULD
      support a configuration parameter to identify DOTS gateways that
      are trusted to supply 'cdid' attributes.

> > Is there a concept for protecting against this
> >> beyond
> >> log-and-detect?
> >
> > [Med] We do have the following generic recommendation (from the
> requirements I-D):
> >
> >   "DOTS operators should carefully
> >   monitor and audit DOTS agents to detect misbehavior and to deter
> >   misuse"
>
> so, "no". :) That's fine, this is a hard problem, and rate limitations are
> still one of the only tools that works consistently. Calling out which parts
> of the protocol are vulnerable to state space exhaustion on the server,
> though, would be sueful.
>

> >> Data Model Design
> >> --------------------
> >>
> >> The target-fqdn element in the alias definition seems prone to cause
> >> confusing results if used naïvely (indeed the document itself points
> >> this out). On the other hand, in dynamic service environments it is quite
> >> useful
> >> for an alias to refer to a name as opposed to a set of addresses. Did the
> >> working
> >> group consider including some further context for the resoultion of these
> >> into
> >> IP addresses (for example, by providing a link to a DoT/DoH server to
> update
> >> the resolutions periodically)?
> >
> > [Med] The document states the following:
> >
> >      How a name is passed to an underlying name resolution library is
> >      implementation- and deployment-specific.
> >
> > We could include some text similar to RFC7969 (Section 7), but still this
> is deployment-specific.
>
> Okay, as long as we think the uncertainty in resolution is something that
> will work as expected for DOTS clients.

[Med] While assuming that name resolution is deployment-specific, I added this NEW text to avoid misbehaviors:

   When FQDNs are used as targets, the DOTS server MUST rely upon DNS
   privacy enabling protocols (e.g., DNS over TLS [RFC7858], DoH
   [RFC8484]) to prevent eavesdroppers from possibly identifying the
   target resources protected by the DDoS mitigation service and means
   to ensure the target FQDN resolution is authentic (e.g., DNSSEC
   [RFC4034]).

Thank you for the review.