Re: [tsvwg] <tsvwg> Using NQB in mobile network

"Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)" <gengxuesong@huawei.com> Wed, 11 December 2019 03:20 UTC

From: "Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)" <gengxuesong@huawei.com>
To: Greg White <g.white@CableLabs.com>, Thomas Fossati <Thomas.Fossati@arm.com>
CC: tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 03:20:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.169.123]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] <tsvwg> Using NQB in mobile network

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your explanation.
I agree with you, it is flexible for mobile network QoS system to set up new rule about flow classification. However, I am just considering whether this exposes some mismatch between 5G QoS system and transport  QoS system. New 5QI is defined for delay-critical applications in 5G, but there is no corresponding DSCP in fixed network. I think NQB is a good start to discuss how to deal with these kind of flows, because it is able to provide relative high-quality service for latency sensitive applications. So maybe it could be considered to relax the restriction in the draft about that UE has to be given a non-GBR Data Radio Bearer.
By the way, perhaps I have missed some previous discussions, and I am not sure whether there exists core confliction between NQB and bit rate guarantee. In my understanding, NQB itself doesn’t provide bit rate guarantee, but considering it is suitable for  “traffic at relatively low data rates and/or in a fairly smooth and consistent manner”, it could be used for service that requires bandwidth reservation, although bandwidth reservation should be provided by other mechanisms. If this is acceptable, maybe it will be easier to allow UE to be given a GBR or delay-critical GBR when using NQB PHB.

Best Regards
Xuesong