Re: [tsvwg] path forward on L4S issue #16

"Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Wed, 10 June 2020 20:00 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 13:00:02 -0700
CC: Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de>, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] path forward on L4S issue #16

Hello Ingmar,
Inlinde below

Regards,
Rod
> Hi
>
> As regards to dualQ (below), do you see any specific reason why it would not
> be possible to upstream (complexity/memory whatever) it or is your argument
> that it is just not done yet ?

It would be a mistake to upstream something into Linux, or FreeBSD or
any other publically distributed software that has not been accepted
as a solution by the IETF, *unless* that code was disabled with
#ifdef that would require a custom compilation.  To do anything less
to protect the internet from potentially harmful software would be
irresposible.

> Also, do you have any comments to my three other questions, please refer to
> earlier email in the thread for the context.
> 1) Do you have any public sources that confirm the numbers you quote below
> ?. I tried to look up data on this but it surely is not easy.
> 2) Which foras are the vendors that manufacture CPEs active in (if any) ?.
> 3) As regards to endpoints implementing RFC3168, do you refer to servers and
> clients or something else?. My interpretation is servers and clients and I
> don't believe that they are central  to this discussion, or do I miss
> something ?.

I do not actually believe your 2, or now 3 questions are actually
the right questions to be asking.  The fact is that RFC3168 and handful
of other AQM RFC's are infact the accepted standards for internet
operation today, and though you can go declare them "non deployed",
you can not declare them non standard, and until you do so one
should considered them deployed.

If you want to base L4S forward progress on the lack of RFC3168 AQM's
then you *MUST* first get the IETF to revoke the standard status of
RFC3168 and all related AQM's.

5 years ago when L4S started that might of been possible, but
given the push in the last 5 years of people actively deploying
RFC3168 and new AQM's based on it that possibility is most likely
no longer possible.  And even if it was I suspect the long tail
would put you 10 years down the road.