Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-05.txt

Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Mon, 25 October 2010 06:31 UTC

Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-05.txt
From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:32:41 +0200
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Cc: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, tsvwg@ietf.org

Hi Tom,

please see my comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael

On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:59 PM, t.petch wrote:

> Going from minutiae to the big picture, I find it easy to suggest changes for
> the minutiae but much harder to understand - or not - the big picture.
>
> I think that the I-D needs more of an introduction as to what is on offer, as
> opposed to how to do it. It is the choice of operations that makes this so.
> Thus, I think that Incoming SSN Reset Request Parameter MUST be acknowledged by
> Outgoing SSN Reset Request Parameter (but the I-D does not quite say that
> anywhere) and that anything else, such as Add Outgoing Streams Request
> Parameter, is acknowledged by Stream Reset Response Parameter [sic].
>
> And then there is the interaction of  Stream Reset Request Sequence Number and
> Stream Reset Response Sequence Number   (and timers); ok, it is the usual sort
> of request/response transport affair, but there are variations within this theme
> and which are you using?  Perhaps a state machine would help.
>
> I can reverse engineer the worked examples, but I do not think that I should
> have to - and I think that the examples should be a Informative appendix.  As it
> stands, 5.3 would appear to be Normative.
OK, I put the  examples in an Annex and added a sentence that it is only informational.
We can also take them out...
We can also move the Socket API considerations to an Annex since it is also only
informational.

> So my structure would be a new section 3 of Overview, 2-3 pages, then the
I think the introduction covers the provided functionality. Some I'm
not sure what to write about in 2-3 pages. I'm also not sure if your
comment still applies to the current version, but if it does, could you
provide text?
> procedures of current Section 5, then the parameters themselves as in current
> Section 4 but with the rules on the combinations of parameters from Section 3 at
> the end.
All other SCTP RFC defined the packets formats before describing the procedures.
I'm happy to change the order if the WG wants it, but I personally prefer
defining objects before using them (might be related to being a mathematician).

But as I said: If the WG want a different permutation of the sections, I'll
incorporate that.