Re: [tsvwg] tsw/ospa: Internet phone-in-QoS ?

"Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Wed, 15 April 2020 06:27 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 23:27:04 -0700
CC: Jonathan Morton <chromatix99@gmail.com>, opsawg@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] tsw/ospa: Internet phone-in-QoS ?

> Thanks, Jonathan,
>
> a) I have a hard time believing that most bigger SP access
> region paths (outside the home) do not at least have WRED (or better).
> (aka: paths between national streaming clous services and 90%
>  of subscribers).

The model there is "through lambda" at it.  They do not
believe in either AQM or ECN, they truely never expect
the network at that level to experience congestion, and
hence to date pretty much it is "drop" as a signal.

When trying to "sell" ECN concepts to network operators
at this level I usually get told "our network never
experiences congestion because we overprovision."

You may find it hard to believe, but it is a reality.

But, given light of the current situation perhaps it is time
to go back and talk to some of those operators and see if
they now understand that an event may occur that overwhelms
the overprovision and that ECN and AQM's are infact something
worth looking at getting deployed.

> b) Even within an ISP, i can easily see how the ISP would
> (in the absence of other policies) like to give subscribers who
> have bought more bandwidth also a value add for that bandwidth.
>
> Same bandwidth under cross-subscriber congestion may
> not be supporting the business goals of the ISP best.
>
> c)  Even in the absence of this "not every subscriber is equal"
> problem, it is not clear to me that bandwidth is used in
> accordance to e.g.: publiic policies if all subscribers get
> the same share - whether they use entertainment or are supporting
> critical functions".  Medical staff working from home giving video
> sessions to patients for example.
>
> We do have public policies applied to other infrastructures
> that are fairly orthogonal to their funding. Emergency
> vehicles on roads, or commuter lanes for example. We already
> had similar problems to corona during the fires and fire
> departments in california (oh sure, why not let fire dpartments
> pay all-year ridiculous ISP prices when they need the
> traffic volume only in regional emergencies...).

Another business model I see on "congested" subscriber issues
is "its good when my customers link congests and has problems,
they come to me to buy more bandwidth, I really do not care
to solve this problem for them."

That from the mouth of a continent sized telco/internet
provider.