Re: [tsvwg] [nwcrg] WGLC on FECFRAME sliding window extensions and RLC FEC

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr> Thu, 17 May 2018 11:07 UTC

From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 13:07:27 +0200
Cc: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>, Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, nwcrg@irtf.org
To: Jonathan DETCHART <jonathan.detchart@isae-supaero.fr>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [nwcrg] WGLC on FECFRAME sliding window extensions and RLC FEC

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent comments! We need to clarify the Finite Field used, I agree.
Here is a new section to address this comment:

NEW:

3.6.  Finite Fields Operations

   The two RLC FEC Schemes specified in this document reuse the Finite
   Fields defined in [RFC5510], section 8.1.  More specifically, the
   elements of the field GF(2^^m) are represented by polynomials with
   binary coefficients (i.e., over GF(2)) and degree lower or equal to
   m-1.  The addition between two elements is defined as the addition of
   binary polynomials in GF(2), which is equivalent to a bitwise XOR
   operation on the binary representation of these elements.

   With GF(2^^8), multiplication between two elements is the
   multiplication modulo a given irreducible polynomial of degree 8.
   The following irreducible polynomial MUST be used for GF(2^^8):

      x^^8 + x^^4 + x^^3 + x^^2 + 1

   With GF(2), multiplication corresponds to a logical AND operation.

The reference to (the excellent) Plank’s research report is already in version -03.
The two typos are fixed.

We’ll submit a new -04 version with the above corrections plus an
improved section 3.1.  Possible Parameter Derivations. More to come soon...

Cheers,

  Vincent and Belkacem