Re: [tsvwg] [saag] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-19.txt> (Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols) to Informational RFC

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 11 February 2021 09:51 UTC

To: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>, Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 09:50:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [saag] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-19.txt> (Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols) to Informational RFC

Thanks Fernando,

Please see below:

On 10/02/2021 22:53, Black, David wrote:
> Adding TSVWG list, Thanks, --David

This sounds similar to the case of explicitly exposing other
information. In this case, the network will make decisions on what it
sees or infers - without knowledge of the contents of the encrypted part
Would you like to propose some text to help explain this?

> * Section 5.1:
>
>      Protocol methods can be designed to
>      probe to discover whether the specific option(s) can be used along
>      the current path, enabling use on arbitrary paths.
>
> This might be a problem of "English as a second language", but the above
> text sounds to me like you can enable use of this feature on arbitrary
> paths.... where's I'd probably argue that what you can do is to
> *disable* the feature on paths where the feature cannot be used, such
> that you may still communicate (albeit without using the aforementioned
> feature).
>
> Another simpler fix might be s/arbitrary/specific/

The whole para currently reads:

    An arbitrary path can include one or more network devices that drop
    packets that include a specific header or option used for this
    purpose (see [RFC7872]).  This could impact the proper functioning of
    the protocols using the path.  Protocol methods can be designed to
    probe to discover whether the specific option(s) can be used along
    the current path, enabling use on arbitrary paths.

I think this last sentence can indeed be improved, and I suggest
something like:

    Protocol methods can be designed to
    probe to discover whether the specific option(s) can be used along
    the current path, enabling or disabling their use on the path.

Is that better?

> At the end of the day, when it comes to new features (i.e., features
> that folks do not currently rely on), the folks operating the networks
> trump everything else.  -- same as when folks decide to tunnel things on
> e.g. UDP, but then find out they are rate limited....
Agree.
> Thanks,
> Fernando

Best wishes,