Re: [tsvwg] draft-porfiri-tsvwg-sctp-natsupp-00 is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories

Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Thu, 02 September 2021 09:59 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 11:59:03 +0200
Cc: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
To: Claudio Porfiri <claudio.porfiri=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-porfiri-tsvwg-sctp-natsupp-00 is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories

> On 2. Sep 2021, at 10:53, Claudio Porfiri <claudio.porfiri=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
> thanks for the comments.
> I am adding details in the slides, at the same time I am trying to answer your questions below.
>
> Best regards,
> Claudio

OK.

> * Section 4.4 states that
>  "The main difference is in the NAT to be stateless rather than following
>  the status of the association."
>  I don't see how the solution described in draft-ietf-tsvwg-natsupp stores
>  the state of the association. Could you elaborate on that?
> [teiclap] That's my fault. When reading the source code in Linux and BSD I've found out that in both
> implementation the NAT mechanism takes a copy of the internal SCTP state machine and updates it by
> parsing the control chunks. It's not a matter of specification.
OK. Haven't looked at the code... Was only referring to the specification.

> * Section 5.3.1 introduces the Repetitiva Juvant parameter in the INIT chunk.
>  Why is it needed since the NAT functions does not care about verification tags?
>  Isn't this only required for handling incoming SCTP associations? Isn't this
>  a way of load balancing? Isn't this a different problem than NAT? How can
>  the Repetitiva Juvant parameter be considered if the packets are not parsed?
> [teiclap] RJ parameter is for peer-to-peer communication. It tells the remote peer that the INIT is
> not a new one, as it comes from an unknown source address and transports a vTAG that belongs to an
> existing association. RJ parameters tells the receiver to answer with an INIT-ACK and doing nothing
> else. INIT with RJ is only needed for creating a path in the NAT devices, those devices don't need
> to know that it transports RJ parameter.
Why does it need to know that it belongs to an existing association. As long as an INIT-ACK
is sent back, everything is OK. Wouldn't this work just without the RJ parameter?

> * Section 7.2 describes an example with congestion. Why do you use a different
>  connection setup in case of congestion? How do you know that there is congestion?
>  Or is this an example of a local port number collision and not about congestion?
> [teiclap] Yes, this is my fault. It's a collision, not a congestion.
OK.

> * How does in Section 7.3 NAT know, that it needs to forward the incoming packet
>  containing the INIT chunk to B1 and not B2?
> [teiclap] This is another fault. In such cases I need to explain that in cases of distributed
> Endpoint the NAT device needs support from a Load Balancer mechanism that decides what SCTP Host
> will handle the Association.
OK.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Best regards