Re: [tsvwg] 3rd WGLC (limited-scope): draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-15, closes 29 June 2020

Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org> Tue, 09 June 2020 17:45 UTC

From: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Cc: int-area <int-area@ietf.org>, IETF SAAG <saag@ietf.org>, "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 17:45:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] 3rd WGLC (limited-scope): draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-15, closes 29 June 2020

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 01:41:40 UTC Black, David wrote:
> This email announces a limited-scope 3rd TSVWG Working Group Last Call
> (WGLC) on:
>
>     Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network
>      Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols
>                  draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-15
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/
>
> This draft is intended to become an Informational RFC.  This WGLC has
> been cc:'d to the SAAG and INT-AREA lists courtesy of the breadth of
> interest in this draft, but WGLC discussion will take place on the TSVWG
> list (tsvwg@ietf.org<mailto:tsvwg@ietf.org>) - please don't remove that list
> address if/when replying with WGLC comments.

the goals of "prevention of network ossification" are incompatible with
layering exits such as a router using non-routing header information to guide
its operations. this isn't a new constraint collision -- consider OSPF ECMP
which needs to examine the TCP or UDP header to find a 5-tuple to hash upon.

as this draft is informational, objections of the form "it says something that
is untrue or at least confrontational" or "it lacks something essential" are
in scope and the answer should be "send a pull request". whereas objections of
the form shown in the e-mail summary (archival) thread you referenced:

(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/i4qyY1HRqKwm0Jme9UtEb6DyhXU/)
> I would like to see this useful content in a BCP document once we have
> enough information to actually recommend something.

are out of scope because this document isn't making any recommendations, and

(ibid)
> Having an IETF Consensus RFC that is so heavily weighted on the side of
> "this is how encryption inconveniences us" and so light on "these are the
> attacks we are preventing" gives a misleading picture of the IETF
> community's view of the relative priority of these concerns.

are regressive, leading back to the result of "send a pull request" since the
consensus being sought isn't about a recommendation but rather a depiction of
known considerations. unknown considerations should not concern us, since
those always exist and cannot be addressed until they make themselves known.
known considerations which are missing, incomplete, or misleading in the text
as drafted, should be fixed.

i have two objections, both of which are inoperable at this time due to the
limited scope of this WGLC. (you're asking for pass/fail, and the time for me
to have suggested these changes has passed.)

first, section 7.2 could do some real good by enumerating local operating
system and local network policy as reasons why a transport protocol should
have low-entropy markers. on many endpoints and within many networks,
uncharacterized traffic will be dropped. the advance of DoH has caused and
will continue to cause broader adoption of required explicit proxies to
prevent uncooperative insiders from bypassing DNS policy controls. QUIC is
going to cause UDP to become a privileged operation, denied except for
classifiable traffic, to prevent similar bypasses.

a brief examination of these deployment obstacles to PM-resistant transport
deployment would help inform the manageability draft, and may even motivate a
secure proxy discovery protocol similar to what the ADD WG is working on for
secure RDNS discovery. it's clear that DHCP in its current form will never be
used to communicate any endpoint parameter which has security value. a
transport protocol which permits an on-path device to authentically deny an
unclassifiable flow will be deployed more quickly and more widely, and so a
mention of these tensions in section 7.2 might accelerate darwinism here.

second, the absence of signaling within the IP and IP6 headers to drive the
advancement of congestion management is a form of ossification, and should be
blamed here. the needs of L4S or SCE or similar should not have a bearing on
QUIC or for that matter even on TCP. so, when discussing anti-ossification as
a goal, this document could highlight that previous ossification has created
many of the tensions the document will go on to describe in detail. this bit
of history won't be known by most readers, and could provoke cognitive
dissonance if left untreated.

given the inoperable (because: late) nature of my objections, i support
publication of this draft. thank you for giving us a chance to comment.

vixie