Re: [tsvwg] Comment on draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 24 March 2020 19:43 UTC

From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:43:06 +0000
Cc: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>, tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>
To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Comment on draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13

See below.

> On 24 Mar 2020, at 17:51, Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:43 AM Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> My original comment was that the following text in the draft is not
>>> relevant for the reasons I mentioned. The change I suggest would be to
>>> simply remove the paragraph:
>>>
>>> "o On the one hand, protocols do not necessarily have an incentive to
>>> expose the actual information that is used by the protocol itself and
>>> could therefore manipulate the exposed transport header information to
>>> gain an advantage from the network. The incentive to reflect actual
>>> transport header information has to be considered when proposing a
>>> method."
>>
>> Why do you think this is not a view held by some people?
>>
> Gorry,
>
> I'm only giving my opinion.

OK, thanks for taking the time to detail this. I will try a reply  - forgive me, if I repeat things I have said in other rounds of discussion, but I will do my best to answer... see below.

>> This is a point that has been included in the draft for some
>> considerable time, and consideration of incentives to lie has been a
>> recurrent theme in understanding deployment stories. The present text
>
> It was not previously mentioned in the context of extension headers.
> This is a general consideration for any unauthenticated plaintext data
> in a packet that an intermediate node chooses to consume. As Joe said,
> in the absence of any requirement or contract, it's the prerogative of
> the host to manipulate packet contents as it sees fit to gain an
> advantage (where sometimes the "advantage" is just that packets get
> delivered and not dropped).

Agree this text is more general. I will look at that text and see if these two paras can be moved.

>> simply notes this point, and then says it should be "considered".  The
>> story of why TOS was extremely difficult to deploy outside of controlled
>> environments is a nice example of this.
>>
>> This is part of a two-part construction. I see this point as balanced in
>> the second part (which I assume you would agree with), and I chose this
>> re-ordering so that the second point was mentioned last
>
> I provided text with three tangible benefits of exposing transport
> layer information in Hop-by-Hop options, namely: 1) Hop-by-Hop options
> work with any transport protocol,

True - but actually, I suggest this is true of any generalised header. It is true of a GRE tunnel header and other encaps.

> 2) Hop-by-Hop options are explicit
> so that the end host or application control their content,

Perhaps ... I would really encourage support this, APIs, protocols and the authentication methods to protect integrity of info, etc. The reason I keep pushing back a little is because I don’t know of people saying they are actually using extensions to manage and operate their networks, am I missing something?

 I would like to stick with a scope that the document describes things that have been done. I know that both you and I, and others, have int area drafts that we’d like to see use of extension headers. Am I missing something? I didn’t see people running networks explain how they are using this. I would be really happy to understand deployment experience....

... if anyone else on the list also has this experience of reading and using extensions headers, let me know - off list if you prefer.

> 3)
> Hop-by-Hop options are the only protocol conformant method to expose
> arbitrary information to the network.

Not sure “only” and “conformant” are so helpful words here.

> . I don't see that the latest
> draft includes these, especially points #1 and #3. Why did you choose
> to omit these in the latest draft?

> Tom

Not because I specifically don’t want that to be the case, only because I didn’t hear people saying they had experience of using extensions for operations support, to traverse firewalls, run measurement tools, inform QoS/SLA policers/classifiers, whatever. We need to get networking people to support them in routers etc.

Gorry