I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org Mon, 25 October 2010 22:15 UTC

From: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:15:32 -0700
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org

This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe, J. Manner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2010-10-25

This memo concerns dropping or marking packets using active queue
management (AQM) such as random early detection (RED) or pre-
congestion notification (PCN).  We give three strong recommendations:
(1) packet size should be taken into account when transports read
congestion indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into
account when network equipment creates congestion signals (marking,
dropping), and therefore (3) the byte-mode packet drop variant of the
RED AQM algorithm that drops fewer small packets should not be used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Internet-Draft.
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt"><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt>