[tsvwg] Diffserv for interconnection and RFC 5127

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Mon, 26 November 2012 19:52 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:52:24 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "pierre.levis@orange.com" <pierre.levis@orange.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "christian.jacquenet@orange.com" <christian.jacquenet@orange.com>
Subject: [tsvwg] Diffserv for interconnection and RFC 5127

Ruediger,

<WG co-chair hat on>

> thanks. I submitted a draft on the issue and I'm also involved in
> the ITU liaision.
>
> Yes, to me IETF should pick up the subject of limited and "well
> enough defined" set of interconnection QoS classes.

Thanks - this is a quick response to add clarity on RFC 5127:

> I've reread RFC 5127. If it stays informational, I got no qualms
> with it. If a revised version of RFC 5127 is to be put on standards
> track, some parts of it must be better explained and possibly
> rewritten. If it is not touched, some parts of what is required
> in a revised 5127 from my point of view should become part of the
> interconnection work.

All three of the above options (revise RFC 5127 as Informational,
revise RFC 5127 as Standards Track, write a new RFC that could be
informational or standards track) are possibilities for this proposed
Diffserv interconnection work.

In addition, the proposed Diffserv Classes work involves both
RFC 4594 and RFC 5127 (the aggregations in 5127 would need to be
updated to reflect updates to the classes in 4594), but that
coupling does not dictate how the Diffserv interconnection work
should be done.  In particular, a new RFC for Diffserv interconnection
in addition to an update to RFC 5127 as part of the Diffserv Classes
work is a possible approach.

Thanks,
--David