Re: [tsvwg] Switch testing at 25G with ECN --SCE Draft

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Tue, 13 August 2019 17:11 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 10:11:35 -0700
CC: "Scaglione, Giuseppe" <giuseppe.scaglione@hpe.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Switch testing at 25G with ECN --SCE Draft

Gorry,
I am not certain which "you" are asking about RFC8511, but if it is
the SCE developers that is much about what this test was, it was looking
at SCE type response (similiar to RFC8511, but not the same) at very
high bandwidth very short delay type paths.

Within SCE we have tried different responses to ESCE in the sender,
and at present I believe the published code is using a -sqrt(ackbytes)
as the backoff, which is what these tests results are from.

The work in these areas is ongoing, and we have had several different
funtions here (the very first was simply -(0.5 * ackbytes), but found
to be a bit over responsive).

As SCE gathers more data it is probable that adjustments to both
the marking function and the response function are going to need
to be made, infact iirc there are 3 existing marking functions
(codel, fg_codel, pie) and 2 new ones (LFQ, NCQ) being worked on.

But it is unlikely until wide scale experimentation that a standard
set of functions can be identified.  This test data shows probably
the simplest of possible implementations, and it was pleasing
to see positive test results without any iterative design process,
or tweaking for this test.

It is also possible that you are suggesting that the non-SCE
tests might be repeated using RFC8511 ABE type response in the
DCTCP used, I too believe that would be a meaningful data point.