Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-natsupp-16.txt

Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Mon, 09 March 2020 18:50 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 19:50:02 +0100
To: tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-natsupp-16.txt

> On 9. Mar 2020, at 19:34, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.
>
>        Title           : Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Network Address Translation Support
>        Authors         : Randall R. Stewart
>                          Michael Tuexen
>                          Irene Ruengeler
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-natsupp-16.txt
> 	Pages           : 47
> 	Date            : 2020-03-09
Dear all,

this tries to
* address issues brought up by Maxim (see separate mail)
* add the YANG module provided by Mohamed
* address some of the issues reported bu Mohamed in a private mail
The .xml was also changed from v2 to v3.

The following suggestions from Mohamed were not integrated:
(a) replacing of NAT device to NAT function
    It is not clear to me what would be gained by this. Also other documents
    (for example RFC 4787) also use NAT device.
(b) replacing Private Address by Internal Address
    I would be fine with it (it would match Internal Port and Internal VTag).
    But it would break some relation we use for Private Address and Public
    Address (the non-private IP address assigned to the NAT device).
(c) replacing Public Address by External Address
    This would leave us with no name for the host on the External network
    the host behind the NAT wants to connect to and need to fit with
    Ext-Port and Ext-VTag.

I'm open to (a) if someone clarifies why NAT function is better than
NAT device and explains why it wasn't used that way in, for example,
RFC 4787.

I'm open to (b) and (c), I actually like (b), if someone can suggest
than also a better name for the address/port/vtag the NATted host
is connecting to. We currently use Ext-Addr, Ext-Port, and Ext-VTag
for it.

However, these three issues are editorial and can be changed during WGLC.

Best regards
Michael