Re: [tsvwg] [nwcrg] WGLC on FECFRAME sliding window extensions and RLC FEC

Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae-supaero.fr> Tue, 01 May 2018 07:31 UTC

To: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Cc: nwcrg@irtf.org
From: Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae-supaero.fr>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 09:31:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [nwcrg] WGLC on FECFRAME sliding window extensions and RLC FEC

Dear all,

Having reviewing draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext, I found this document
quite clear, well-written and self-contained. I just have the following
suggestions:

The authors argue that "/FECFRAME provides FEC protection for arbitrary
packet flows over unreliable transports such as UDP/". RFC5348 proposes
TFRC, an unreliable rate-based protocol which does not send data packets
in a continuous manner at the same peak rate mimicking TCP average
sending rate behavior or RFC4341 proposes DCCP CCID#2 congestion control
which is an equivalent TCP window-based algorithm without retransmission.

I reckon it is a good idea to dissociate transport layers operations
from sliding encoding operations. But keeping in mind these both
protocols (TFRC or DCCP/CCID#3 and DCCP/CCID#2) and considering the
sentence "The data packets of continuous media flow(s) can be sent
immediately, without delay." : "sent" is understood as "sent over the
network" while this is not true depending on which unreliable transport
protocol is used, so it should be "passed to the transport layer" as
"sent over the network" only apply to UDP which does not schedule, pace
or stop the sending. Actually some parts of this draft seem to consider
that when source data or redundancy packets are built, they are simply
sent over the network without delay. This is not always the case, so to
be accurate I would suggest to correct by "passed to the transport
layer" as correctly illustrated Fig. 1.

Same applies for : "since repair symbols can be generated and sent
on-the-fly,"

"In practice FEC Source Packets can be sent as soon as available,
without having to wait for FEC encoding to take place". This sounds like
a priority scheduling between source data packets against repair
packets. May be "Encoding operations should not influence data packets
processing: FEC Source Packets should never be delayed and should always
remain available to be passed to the transport layer."

"Protection amount" is defined but not used in this document. The
definition suggests a kind of cross-layer with the transport protocol or
a kind of application flow control. Should be either discussed nay
suppressed.

EL