Re: WGLC Announcement for draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-08 - 26th November2010

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> Wed, 03 November 2010 16:49 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: WGLC Announcement for draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-08 - 26th November2010
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:47:58 +0100
Cc: tsvwg list <tsvwg@ietf.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Westerlund" <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Cc: "tsvwg list" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:46 PM

> Hi Tom,
>
> Apparently your comment from January about the mix of terms was missed
> and not addressed.
>
> If I understand the English terms correctly, what we are describing that
> IANA should do is Allocation, i.e. set aside identifiers for particular
> usages. We are not giving over the number space to the ones that
> request, thus Assignment would be wrong?
>
> I think we can mostly eliminate one of the terms assignment and
> allocation. I think we will have more difficult to get rid of
> registration. My personal thinking on this is at least the following
> relationship between the terms: A Registrant performs a Registration
> (process or request) so that IANA can perform an Allocation of a service
> name and possibly ports.

Magnus

That would address my concern. As you say, assign has more of an overtone
of a legal transfer of ownership, which allocate does not (even if my dictionary
defines allocate as assign:-(  There is a lot of assignation in the current I-D
but
I think that most of it should be changed.

I like too the idea that registration is the request, and that IANA allocates,
and
again, there is a lot of registration and I think that most of it should be
changed.

It is unfortunate that the end result of an allocation by IANA is a registry but
do not think that that can be helped:-(   Whatever terminology we agree on,
I think that the I-D should spell it out early on.

I did scan a variety of I-Ds with IANA actions and see IANA allocating,
registering
and assigning values in registries, with perhaps the last as the most common,
but that does
not make it the right choice for me.

Tom Petch