Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [Fwd: Re: AD review: draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-05]
From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
To: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Cc: tsvwg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:11:40 -0300
List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>

Michelle Cotton wrote:

> IANA assigns a requested port number if that port number is available.
> However there are many instances where folks come to IANA and request a
> certain port number because they have been using it  and it is already
> assigned to someone else.
> 
> We encourage coming to IANA first before “using” a port number.

Agreed, but, if IANA actually "assigns" rather than just "register" port
numbers in the "registered" port range, I guess some requests are
approved, and others are rejected... so I wonder what's the criteria for
that... in partcular when port numbers are used by "closed" protocols.

e.g., what has been the criteria for "assigning" say, these port numbers:

shockwave	1626/tcp  Shockwave
lofr-lm         1752/tcp    Leap of Faith Research License Manager
yo-main         4040/tcp   Yo.net main service
turbonote-1     39681/tcp   TurboNote Default Port

Have there any cases in which use of a port has been rejected? If so,
what has been that reason?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1