Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-08 - To conclude 19th November, 2014

Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Wed, 26 November 2014 08:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:42:05 -0800
From: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Cc: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-08 - To conclude 19th November, 2014

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Michael Tuexen <
Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> wrote:

> On 29 Oct 2014, at 15:01, gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > TSVWG,
> >
> > This is the start of a WGLC on "Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP".
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-08
> >
> > This WGLC will last until Wednesday, 19th November, 2014, this includes
> > the period of the coming IETF meeting.
> >
> > A good note to the list is "I have read this version of the draft,
> > and I approve (or support) its progression to RFC". The chairs
> > request notes to the list showing support to get a sense of the WG.
> Dear TSVSG,
>
> I have read this version of the ID and approve its progression to RFC.
> FreeBSD implements most of the stuff, however exposing the PF_State is
> not implemented yet (so no support for the
> SCTP_EXPOSE_POTENTIALLY_FAILED_STATE
> socket option). Furthermore, FreeBSD doesn't support yet the spt_pathcpthld
> field in struct sctp_paddrthlds, which means FreeBSD doesn't support the
> optional features described in Section 4.3.

Thanks for the info.
I just would like to mention that there is no conflict between the draft
and freebsd implementation as these missing features are optional or
informational.

> I have a general remark:
> The document uses the terms
> * Quick failover (it is even in the title of the document)
> * Permanent failover
> * SCTP-PF
> The relation of the above three is not clear for me since they are not
> used consistently.

Yes. This makes senses. Thanks for pointing out. We'll think about how to
solve this inconsistency.

> [...]

>   s/SCTP endpoint/the SCTP endpoint/
>   s/(error counter/(the error counter/
>   s/stop using non-primary one./stops using the non-primary one./
>   s/significant amount/a significant amount/
>   s/starts to use the secondary path./starts to use the non-primary path
> for initial data transmission./
>   s/in the standard/in [RFC4960]/
>   s/before failover takes place/before the failover takes place/
>   s/to the secondary address/to an active non-primary address/
>   s/to the primary/to the primary address/
>   s/to the secondary/to the non-primary/
>   s/and can thus be reached at the receiver./and thus can be received by
> the peer./
>   s/will not be acceptable/is not acceptable/
>   s/path is active again/path becomes active again/
>
> * Section 4:
>   s/updates SCTP path management scheme with the Potentially Failed state
> and associated Quick Failover operation./extends the SCTP path management
> scheme by adding the Potentially Failed state and the associated Quick
> Failover operation./
>
> * Section 4.1:
>   s/minimize performance impact/minimize the performance impact/
>   s/destination/destination address/
>   s/destination/destination address/
>   s/is ideal so that/is better because/
>   s/transitions a destination/can transition a destination address/
>   s/a destination as/a destination address/
>   Define AMR. It is used here the first time.
>   s/address performance impact/address the performance impact/
>   s/This new method/SCTP-PF defined in this document/
>   s/between Active and Failed states/between the Active and Failed state/
>
> * Section 4.2:
>   s/SCTP-PF Algorithm Detail/SCTP-PF Algorithm in Detail/
>   s/SCTP PF operation/The SCTP-PF operation/
>   s/Heartbeats/HEARTBEAT chunks/
>   s/If an heartbeat is unanswered/If a HEARTBEAT chunk is not acknowledged/
>   s/another heartbeat immediately/another packet containing a HEARTBEAT
> chunk immediately/
>   s/of heartbeats may/of HEARTBEAT chunks MAY/
>   s/as SACK or T3-rtx timer/as a T3-rtx timer/
>   s/that heartbeats be send/that HEARTBEAT chunks are send/
>   s/for the destination address/for that destination address/
>   s/receives an heartbeat ACK/receives a HEARTBEAT ACK/
>   s/transmit heartbeats to the/transmit HEARTBEAT chunks to the/
>   s/ACKs/Acknowledgements/
>   s/ACKs/Acknowledgements/
>   s/chunks which has been/chunks that have been/
>   s/ACKs/SACKs/ or s/ACKs/Acknowledgements/
>   s/SCTP stack SHOULD/An SCTP stack should/
>   Wouldn't you also want to signal state changes from PF to Failed and
> vice-versa?
>   s/such SCTP stack MUST/such an SCTP stack must/
>   s/association state transitions/associated state transitions/
>
> * Section 4.3:
>   s/degradation, Permanent Failover/degradation, the Permanent Failover/
>   s/even if the old primary/even when the old primary/
>
> Sorry for the long list of editorial comments, but I wanted to be as

Thank you so much! They look very reasonable although we'll need to check
in detail.
We appreciate very detailed comments.

Regards,
--