[tsvwg] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Wed, 20 February 2019 17:16 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb@ietf.org, David Black <david.black@dell.com>, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, david.black@dell.com, tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 09:16:17 -0800
Subject: [tsvwg] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-09: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb/

DISCUSS:

I believe that this should be trivial DISCUSS to address, but I thought it
important enough to warrant it. I'm OK with basically whatever you answer, I
just wanted to make sure this had been seen and considered.

"An LE PHB SHOULD NOT be used for a customer’s "normal Internet"
   traffic nor should packets be "downgraded" to the LE PHB instead of
   being dropped, particularly when the packets are unauthorized
   traffic.  "

Great, sounds good to me -- but in the USA at least, there is are many cell
phone plans which are "unlimited", but after some amount of traffic (e.g 22GB)
your connection gets throttled to a lower data rate. Is this traffic still 'a
customer's "normal Internet" traffic"? Is it appropriate (whatever that means)
to downgrade this traffic to the LE PHB? I understand not wanting to touch this
issue with  a 10 foot pole (and I don't know what the right answer is!), but
you *did* open this can of worms by talking about what classification user
traffic should have.

Note: I'm happy to clear my DISCUSS no matter what the answer is, I just want
to make sure it has been considered / discussed.

COMMENT:

Major:
"Some network providers keep link utilization below 50% to ensure that all
traffic is forwarded without loss after rerouting caused by a link failure
(cf.Section 6 of [RFC3439]).  LE marked traffic can utilize the normally unused
capacity and will be preempted automatically in case of link failure when 100%
of the link capacity is required for all other traffic. " Yup - very true. But
I think it needs to be mentioned that the provider will need to upgrade their
monitoring / management system so that they can see the traffic lass. If they
monitoring circuit utilization using e.g interface counters (and not by traffic
class), a link may have 1% "real" traffic and 90% LE traffic, and it will look
like it it 91% "full". I don't have any suggested text to address this (and
this is just a comment, so "well, duh, they should know that anyway!" is a fine
answer.)

Nits:
"A main problem is that multicast" -- I'm not sure you can say "A main" - main
implies singular.; I'd suggest "The main" or "A major".

"However,using the Lower Effort PHB for multicast requires to pay special" --
"requires paying"...