Re: [tsvwg] [saag] TSVWG WGLC: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-08, -> logging

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> Mon, 14 October 2019 06:54 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
CC: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 06:54:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [saag] TSVWG WGLC: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-08, -> logging

> I assume that the "student" use case mentioned later in the thread is
very similar to the developer use case.

Yes and no.

Yes because any good debugging/logging tool can help a lot in teaching.

No because (undergraduate) students may have zero understanding of any related technology. And their number is orders of magnitude larger than the number of software developers. The Internet must today be understood by lots of people who will never develop software themselves and who do not have (and need) the same skill set like a software developer. Not all students who need to understand the Internet are „similar“ to a software developer.

Textbooks and universities have found ways to deal with this. But if crypto has to be teached before introducing the Internet transport layer, then this may be a new constraint.

Anyway, I’ll stop here as we are just speculating and guessing. I’ll leave it to the authors to decide whether it is a relevant issue.
Michael