Re: [tsvwg] plan for L4S issue #29

"Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Fri, 31 July 2020 17:35 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:35:08 -0700
CC: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] plan for L4S issue #29

> Hello, ticket #29 for the L4S documents is about classic bottleneck
> detection misidentifying L4S queues as classic ECN queues.
>
> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/tsvwg/ticket/29
>
> In contrast to other issues, it doesn't seem like this should block a
> WGLC on the L4S drafts.
>
>   * It is specific to classic bottleneck detection algorithm, which is
>     planned to be worked on in the Prague ICCRG draft.

I would think for good engineering to insure this issue is not left
unaddressed when you can open this issue or address it in said Prague
ICCRG draft is when you should be able to close it here?

Closing it here before then is a certain way to loose the issue.

>   * The result is sometimes failing to achieve the best possible L4S
>     behavior, but doesn't seem to be an Internet safety issue. This
>     resulting in people turning off classic bottleneck detection would
>     be a different issue, and something maybe the operator guidelines
>     would address.

Failure of the bottleneck detection algorithm has been shown to
cause very undersirable behavior and does lead to a safety issue.

>   * It seems like it can be worked on further in the course of L4S
>     experimentation, without negative effects to others.
>
> So, I believe we should track this work in the ICCRG, and close the
> ticket here.? Please let me know in the next week if I've misunderstood
> any aspect of this and it should remain open.

When there is a place to track this in ICCRG you can close it here
AFTER it has been addressed.

Again I find it that issues are simply not actually being addressed,
but rather just shoved off "until later."