Re: [tsvwg] [saag] TSVWG WGLC: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-08, closes 23 October 2019

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 09 October 2019 15:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 16:12:35 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>
CC: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [saag] TSVWG WGLC: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-08, closes 23 October 2019

On 09/10/2019, 15:38, Joe Touch wrote:
> +1
>
> IMO, this isn’t a “tussle” so much as “I really want to do something I
> know I shouldn’t be doing”.
>
> A lot of what transport security prevents is - from the middlebox view
> - a problem.
>
> For many of us users, preventing middleboxes from doing things like
> hijacking web, email, and DNS is *exactly* the protection we were seeking.

I do not understand this particular comment with respect to this
document: How does "hijacking web, email, and DNS" relate to whether
transport headers are encrypted or not? I would have expected a comment
like this had the document been talking about transport payload (e.g.
whether to use TLS).

Could you point me at some text that leads you to think the transport
header encryption impacts application hi-jacking ?

Gorry