Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-05.txt

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> Mon, 06 September 2010 18:14 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-05.txt
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:08:53 +0200
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gorry Fairhurst" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: "Benoit Claise" <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:15 PM

> My understanding is that we need reviewers (or reviews).
>
> A quick read seems to suggest the current draft may benefit from some
> editorial work before starting a WGLC ... I'm happy to offer comments to
> help this, but that doesn't remove the need for other people to step up
> as reviewers.

I see what you mean.  The challenge is how to communicate what is potentially a
large number of minor edits without expending large amounts of man power.  Thus
I could provide text in the usual form of /old/new/ in which case the
Introduction would be

"Many applications that
/desire to//
use SCTP
/want/have requested/
 the ability to "reset" a stream.  The intention of resetting a stream is to
/set/start/
   the numbering sequence of the stream back
/to/at/
 'zero' with a
   corresponding notification to the upper layer that this
/has/act as/
 been performed.  The applications that
/want/have requested/
 this feature
/want to/normally desire it so that they can/
 "re-use" streams for different
   purposes but still utilize the stream sequence number
/so that the application can/for the application to/
 track the message flows.  Thus, without this feature, a new use
/of/on/
 an old stream would result in message numbers
/greater/larger/
   than expected
/unless there is/without/
 a protocol mechanism to
"/reset/start/
 the streams back
 /to/at/
 zero".  This document
/ also includes/s presents also
a/ method/s//
 for resetting the  transport sequence numbers, adding additional streams and
resetting  all stream sequence numbers.

Would that do the job?

Tom Petch

> Offers please to WG Chairs and/or authors!
>
> Gorry
>

> >   Dear all,
> >
> > I see in the minutes:
> >
> >     Four IDs approaching WGLC:
> >       - SCTP Stream Reconfiguration
> >       - IANA procedures for ports and services
> >       - SCTP Sockets
> >       - SCTP Flag Chunks
> >
> > Are we still waiting for something before starting the WGLC on this draft?
> >
> > Regards, Benoit.
> >> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
> >> This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group
of the IETF.

> >> Title           : Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Stream
Reconfiguration