Re: [tsvwg] Reasons for WGLC/RFC asap

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 19 November 2020 16:35 UTC

To: Pete Heist <pete@heistp.net>, "De Schepper, Koen (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <koen.de_schepper@nokia-bell-labs.com>
Cc: tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:34:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Reasons for WGLC/RFC asap

On 19/11/2020 16:22, Pete Heist wrote:
> Hi Koen,
>
> Rather than thinking of this as advantages and disadvantages to
> waiting, I see it as an engineering process. It was decided earlier
> this year that the L4S proposal has enough support to continue, so
> we're on that path now. Part of that decision, as I understood it,
> also recognized that there are valid safety concerns around
> compatibility with existing AQMs, and some solution needs to be devised.
>
> RFC3168 bottleneck detection was added to TCP Prague, which appears to
> be difficult to do reliably when there is jitter or cross-flow
> traffic, and it has since been disabled in the reference
> implementation. The l4s-ops draft was started, but isn't complete yet
> and may need WG adoption as part of a LC. We can then decide how
> effective the proposed mitigations are against the risks and prevalence.
>
> To start a WGLC now would circumvent that earlier recognition that a
> safety case needs to be made. Meanwhile, since testing showed that
> tunnels through RFC3168 FQ AQMs are a straightforward path to unsafe
> flow interaction, along with other issues relative to the goals, it
> doesn't seem like the engineering process is done just yet.

By the way, I liked your data - and it helped me a lot to look at this,
thanks very much for doing this.

It would help me if you clarify what you mean by  "unsafe" - to me
"safety" relates to traffic unresponsive to drop, as in CBR traffic,
etc. I've not understood how CE-marked traffic can erode safety, but
maybe I missed something?

I'm not sure why "tunnels have crept in here. There have always been
side-effects with classification (and hence scheduling), but I don't see
new issues relating to "tunnels" with ECN.

I'm not commenting on when the Chairs think a WGLC will provide useful
information, we'll say that in due course.

Best wishes,

Gorry