[tsvwg] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-18: (with COMMENT)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 12 October 2016 17:17 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:17:54 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis@ietf.org, david.black@emc.com, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: [tsvwg] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-18: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-18: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/

COMMENT:

Hi, thanks for this document.  I just have a few nit level comments:

- I agree with Benoit that a more detailed "changes since 5405" section
would be helpful (separate from the inter-version change section.)

- IDNits points out that RFC  896 is obsoleted RFC 7805. Is the reference
to 896 intentional? (The shepherd writeup mentions a different obsolete
reference, but not this one.)

- 3, 2nd paragraph:
Is it reasonable to avoid the negation in "not rare" and just say
"common"?

-3.1.1, 3rd paragraph: Please expand TFRC on first mention. (I think the
original 5405 text that expanded it got moved to later in the document.)

-3.4, paragraph 3: "An application MAY optionally discard UDP datagrams
   with a zero checksum [RFC1122]"
Does this MAY give permission to discard, or state the fact that 1122
gives permission to discard? (If the second, please consider non-2119
language to avoid the ambiguity.)

-3.4.1, last bullet in list: I think there may be an editing or
copy/paste error here.  (Limit the usage of what? Is that section 3.6
_of_ RFC7510?)

-3.6: Yay!

- section 6, third paragraph: "Applications MAY also want to offer ways
to limit the
   number of requests they respond to in a time interval, in order to
   cap the bandwidth they consume."

Is that MAY intentionally capitalized? Seems like a statement of fact.

-section 6, paragraph 5:  I concur with Kathleen's comment to reference
7525 in the DTLS discussion.