Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Wed, 10 November 2010 06:20 UTC

Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-03.txt
From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:20:40 +0800
To: Jukka Manner <jukka.manner@tkk.fi>
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org

Jukka,

I've read this draft, and find it improved over the previous version, since it makes it easier to find the recommendations.

The recommendation in section 3.1 on how to measure congestion is clear.

I don't entirely understand the recommendation in section 3.2: this makes it clear what the network should not do, but doesn't really help on what it should do. I'd find the draft easier to understand if it said "when notifying congestion, a network device SHOULD...".

If I understand the recommendation in section 3.3 correctly, it could be phrased as "a transport protocol SHOULD take into account the fraction of bytes that indicate congestion when determining its sending rate, rather than the fraction of packets indicating congestion". If this is correct, I'd find a more active phrasing of what the transport should do, such as this, to be clearer.

The reason I first looked at this draft was to get some guidance on how to design the extensions for ECN running on RTP over UDP. One of the more difficult design choice for that protocol is how to handle ECN processing in middleboxes that transparently split or combine packets. We originally chose to follow RFC 3168 for this, but have recently received guidance to take into account packet size. That guidance doesn't obviously follow from this draft, since the draft focusses on end-to-end transports reading congestion indications, not in-network middleboxes. Some clarification on which aspects of these recommendations are appropriate for middleboxes would be helpful.

Regards,
Colin

--
Colin Perkins