draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09: How we have resolved WG last call comments

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Thu, 02 December 2010 12:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:42:26 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Subject: draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09: How we have resolved WG last call comments

Hi,

A new version has been submitted that intends to address all the issues
we have consensus on addressing. I have attempted to list all the
individual comments here and their resolution as I view them.

New draft version:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt

Diff from previous version.
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09

In addition to the below issues raised, the authors has done some
editorial fixes to improve the language.

Paul Hoffman's comments on 22 Nov
---------------------------------

1. Proposal to make the system port range equal to the registered range.

Outcome: No clear consensus on making the change. There was some support
for this change. But also push back on doing the change. The push back
can be summarized as: Agreement that in theory there should be no
differences, however in reality there are a number of implementations,
mostly UNIX dialects that do make a difference. Thus there is anyway
need to differentiate the system ports range from the regular. This
document isn't the one to make a statement that systems should be
implemented without any real difference between the ranges.

I hope this issue is closed, but I recognize that the all has not been
given sufficient time to respond to it. If the outcome changes a new
version will be submitted.

2. References with URLs that point to pearl script for the forms.

Outcome: Removed the explicit URLs, now only pointing to IANA.

3. Concern over the few WG last call reviews.

Outcome: Noted, and agree that more reviews are desirable. It is clear
that at least 2 has done a review beyond the author team. The number of
different people engaging in discussion issues has been more than 10.

Paul Hoffman's comments around security on the 4th of Nov
Views on the issue was diverse. In the end only minor changes had
consensus along the lines:  The policy is to try to conserve port space
as much as possible, it is not impossible to get a second port for TLS
usage. However, you need to convince the expert review team that you
have a real problem otherwise.

The draft has been changed in the following way:
- Changed the policy description so it uses "strive" to make it clear
that it is an strong goal not a unbudging requirement.
- Changed the introductory wording in Section 7.2 to make it clear that
there are room for discussion.

Tom Petch's comment on the 3 of Nov

Mixed usage of assignment, allocation and registration.

Outcome: Fixed in new draft, using assignment.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com