Re: [tsvwg] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-08

Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> Sat, 09 February 2019 18:43 UTC

From: Dave Taht <dave@taht.net>
To: Olivier Bonaventure <Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be>
Cc: tsv-art@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb.all@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 10:42:41 -0800
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-08

I plan to add support for this to sch_cake and sqm-scripts as soon as it
is standarized, as CS1 is not good enough.

However I plan to ignore the wishful thinking that any transport
can stand long periods of total starvation and just slam it into the
existing "background" bin of those two qos systems, which is ~5%
of bandwith. I believe in nagle's dictum that "every application
has the right to one packet in the network.

I think giving LE some sort of garunteed minimum bandwidth would give it
uptake, otherwise, it will not be very successful. Hopefully a bare
minimum will end up being the case in the actual deployment.