Subject: [tsvwg] Re: [Gen-art] Re: draft-ietf-tsvwg-usr-exp-10 ietf last call Genart review
From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
To: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 14:18:05 +0100
List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>

On 08/08/2025 20:22, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley) writes:
>> - In section 4, there is much discussion of PExIDs but you have to read
>>    the whole section very carefully to find out what they *are*.  I
>>    suggest that the section start with a paragraph that explains that:
>>
>>     A PExID is a 32-bit unsigned integer encoded in network standard byte
>>     order.  It is used in an experimental protocol by being prepended to
>>     the protocol's transport data, in front of each separate message or
>>     byte stream.  PExIDs MUST be registered in the registry created by
>>     this document.
> Hmmm, indeed, why not put that paragraph in the introduction, so someone
> reading the introduction can learn what a PExID is, not just the idea?
>
> Dale

I also think a possibly slightly "thinner" version of the above text 
would be a really nice addition as a part of the intro, where the PExID 
is first mentioned!

I'd also encourage this to provide an expansion of the PExID term when 
it is first used.

... although, I think the current text probably needs to remain describe 
the normative requirements presented in section 4.

Best wishes,

Gorry