Re: [tsvwg] comments on draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-06

"Gorry (erg)" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Sun, 08 April 2018 19:07 UTC

From: "Gorry (erg)" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 20:07:24 +0100
Cc: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org" <draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] comments on draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-06

> On 8 Apr 2018, at 19:37, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 20:37:00 +0200
> From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
> To: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [tsvwg] comments on draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-06
> Cc: "MORTON, ALFRED C \(AL\)" <acm@research.att.com>,
> "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>,
> "draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org"
> <draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org>
> Sender: "tsvwg" <tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org>
>
> What does NPOV stand for ?
Neutral_point_of_view

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_point_of_view

> One high level thought:
>
> There have been for a long time passive measurement tools for
> TCP that allowed to recognize when the performance of flows
> was limited by the application side vs. the network side, eg:
> time between HTTP request/reply as an indication of app problems.
Indeed.

> This of course went officially out of the window already with TLS,
Why? I think these tools work fine with TCP using TLS.

> not only QUIC,
Ah but QUIC would be very different with TLS using UDP and the congestion control fields hidden.
> but practically speaking vendors still try to guess
> at this as well (heuristics to figure out initiator/responder,
> request/reply packets, guessing retransmissions etc. pp).  If it comes
> to designing explicitly a network stack that provides observers
> important information, i would put these question on top:
>
> - is there suboptimal performance ?
> - If yes, whose fault is it ? application and/or network ?
> - If (part of the) fault is network, what could be done to fix it ?
>  - just more capacity or technical issues ?

Seems like useful things - sometimes knowing where the fault is also important.

> Without being able to answer these three questions, we should simply
> change the BE traffic class of the Internet to Lousy Effort or
> Hands Tied Behind Your Back Effort.
>

> There already is a lot of useful details about the different type
> of analysis that can be but IMHO not the good upleveling, and
> specifically (unless i overlooked it) the distinction between
> transport/app issues and network issues.
>
> I would also like to point out that the doccument might have more
> of an impact if we could find an OPS group to have some requirements
> doc version of this context, because otherwise i can't see how
> the result of this work can have the necessary impact on the IETF
> decision making process re. future transport protocol work.

— more ops insight is always most welcome.

Opsec could be one such group - that group has already made several helpful inputs after my talk in Singapore.

> Cheers
>    toerless

Gorry